What's new

I don't know what I need...help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gogo809

New Around Here
Pretty simple to describe what I am looking for. A (4 port at least) switch with integrated wireless. (WAN port connected to internet via gigabit port on primary router)

My Asus rt-56u was being used for this purpose. Close lightening strike caused havok with home internet. Modem and primary router back up, but the 56u lost it's mind and forgot about the custom firmware that allowed it to act as a switch and wireless access point simultaneously. Attempted to re-flash paladin and bricked it pretty good. (To be fair, I think it was screwed from the "zap" it took, I just nudged it over the edge).

So what am I even looking for? Just get a switch and forget about the wireless? This is an option, I just liked having the extra wireless capability, plus it allowed me to ignore "a/b/g" protocol on my primary. Should I just get a cheap wireless router that can take Asus Merlin? Seems a waste as I don't need the "routing" capability.

Thanks up front for any and all advice!

I would go for a AC68U in your case: You can use it as Access Point ("switch") or in regular Router mode. Of course you should always use the latest firmware from Asus or the enhanced version from Merlin - especially due to this actual issue. :cool:

Pretty simple to describe what I am looking for. A (4 port at least) switch with integrated wireless. (WAN port connected to internet via gigabit port on primary router)

Any router will do. Some have the option of turning the router into an access point as a "feature", however once you disable the DHCP server on the new router it will work.

Try searching for "turn router to access point" on google and take your pick on the guides available. There's a guide published on this website as well from 2008 however its still applicable today.

Why not just buy another Asus rt-56u? That way you might even be able to save and move the configuration file over. This would only work if they were the exact hardware revision and firmware, but it might be a option.

If not, and your wanting more of a upgrade, I would suggest the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR-US for 99$. The RT-AC68U is a great router, but if you don't need the routing function and just need a AP, you're paying for a lot of hardware you wouldn't be using.

You had me up to bazooka. o_O Do you mean the brass instrument or the WW2 RPG? If so, I would warn about those that have bazooka's near solar panel houses. :cool:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!