What's new

I don't like iCloud: searching a homecloud solution for iOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
Not sure, if it is in the right section, but here we go: I have been looking for some time now to find a solution to sync the iphones and ipad's of wife, daughter, son and myself with a home-icloud-like solution. A seamless experience where non of them need to bother about anything, like icloud but stored in my home-server(s).

The solution should "just work" after installation and configuration.I have tried it with my Synology using DS file but honestly, not a big success as it does not sync, but upload instead and also, it requires human interaction which i do not want as the last thing i need is the family telling me it doesn't work or they ran out of space on the mobiles (again).

Now that i have a supermicro server spare i was thinking about putting that to work using nextcloud as a homecloud, or converting it back into a Linux machine running a cloud solution. Last but not least, setting it up on my synology is also still an option, providing there is an app to take care of it.

I have done my research and all cloud-solutions promise this seamless experience but if you read the forums, they only talk about what is not working.

Has anybody have any experience with this? Tips, tricks or insights?

It really depends on what you wish to sync and share, along with how much time and money that you want to invest into this endeavor.

You also need a pretty fast upload speed to make this worthwhile, esp. if you're storing large files. Waiting forever for a sync to complete is really irritating and can cause issues in my experience.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!