What's new

I Found Cheap 500Mbps Moca!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Samir

Very Senior Member
So I've finally forayed into getting some moca devices and they are as plug and play as powerline, but with superior speeds. And they can be dirt cheap by comparison if you're looking one step below bonded 2.0.

Here's what I've found that's a bargain:
$10 new - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKTMWDE/?tag=snbforums-20

I haven't used these personally as of yet, but they are the cheapest units that will transfer at 500Mbps real-time (I found iperf tests online), have a dual band AP built-in, and has 2 ethernet ports, which I believe are gigabit. A set of these is only $20, which blows any powerline solution (and almost any other solution) out of the water since it's 500Mbps.

$45 used with 60-day warranty - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Frontier-G...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These are the exact units I purchased and they got a 600Mbps link and I was able to get right under 500Mbps iperf results. They also have a dual band AP built-in as well as a 4-port gigabit switch. These are also routers, so you have to disable that stuff if you just want them to be adapters and APs, but it's not too bad to do so.

There are a few other companies and adapters out there like the deca ones that may be just as cheap, but they're usually only limited to Moca 1.0/1.1 speeds. By far, the two above are the most bang for the buck I've seen. You literally can outfit every room of your house with wifi and an Ethernet port for $10/room. :eek:

Hope this helps someone out there! :cool:

Here's what I've found that's a bargain:
$10 new - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKTMWDE/?tag=snbforums-20

I haven't used these personally as of yet, but they are the cheapest units that will transfer at 500Mbps real-time (I found iperf tests online), have a dual band AP built-in, and has 2 ethernet ports, which I believe are gigabit. A set of these is only $20, which blows any powerline solution (and almost any other solution) out of the water since it's 500Mbps.
The $10 WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1 which supports theoretical speeds of up to 175 Mbps.

https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/wifibooster/difference-moca-1-0-1-1-2-0-bonded-2-0/

That's what I was thinking from the spec sheets, but I found forum discussions where people tested them to 500Mbps+ using iperf. I'm tempted to buy and set and test them myself--for $20 it's a deal.
As @Internet Man said, the WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1 w/ GigE ports so will be limited to around 170 Mbps throughput; the G1100 Quantum Gateway is standard MoCA 2.0 w/ GigE ports, so should be capable of around 400 Mbps ... so 500 Mbps effective throughput from a G1100 is noteworthy; 500 Mbps effective throughput from a WCB3000N would be shocking.

p.s. At $45 per device, a new Motorola MM1000 (bonded/extended MoCA 2.0) would be worth considering; or a "FiOS Network Adapter" (rebranded Actiontec ECB5240M) if you have a friend w/ FiOS.

Last edited:
As @Internet Man said, the WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1 w/ GigE ports so will be limited to around 170 Mbps throughput; the G1100 Quantum Gateway is standard MoCA 2.0 w/ GigE ports, so should be capable of around 400 Mbps ... so 500 Mbps effective throughput from a G1100 is noteworthy; 500 Mbps effective throughput from a WCB3000N would be shocking.
That was originally what I thought based on product documentation, but on the dslreports forums many iperfed at nearly 500Mbps--maybe the product was revised later without a revision in documentation. But whatever the case, this was just example I found of >1.x speeds.

The link reported by my g1100s is 600Mbps. Iperf is just under 500Mbps (I think it was like 497 in my testing).

I've been watching for a price drop on the MM1000 from its usual $60 but it seems to keep selling out even at $60. Did it go on sale for $45 somewhere?
My statement was a bit confusing. The "at $45 per device" was a reference to the cost for the standard MoCA 2.0 G1100, per the link you'd provided. $15 more may seem worthwhile to bump-up to bonded MoCA 2.0, plus a RF pass-through port, found in the $60 MM1000.

As an update, I pulled out the g1100s finally for the project I envisioned them for--getting my dad a much faster wired connection to his workstation which currently gets about 40Mbps over netgear 500av powerlines.

Powered them up and as a test connected them between a 4-5ft of coax and saw the link at 630Mbps. Too bad the coax that should have been wired to the demarc apparently wasn't back in 1995. :mad:

It's amazing that this particular room's dual ethernet drops were not installed (in the crawl space maybe?) and the coax is not wired right either. The lesson learned here is do the cabling yourself--otherwise you're just paying someone to half-butt it. :rolleyes: We can always do that ourselves for free!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!