What's new

I just want to de-prioritize Usenet in QoS.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ctyt

New Around Here
I have the RT-AC68U with Merlin's 384.4. All I want to do is make Usenet binary downloads the lowest priority. They all go through port 563 using SSL. Everything else, I want to leave alone. I'm currently using "Adaptive QoS" with the "File Transferring" category on the bottom, but I'm not sure Usenet is within that category.Since I'm using SSL, I'm not sure the protocol would be identified even if it were within that category. Any help is appreciated.

I have the RT-AC68U with Merlin's 384.4. All I want to do is make Usenet binary downloads the lowest priority. They all go through port 563 using SSL. Everything else, I want to leave alone. I'm currently using "Adaptive QoS" with the "File Transferring" category on the bottom, but I'm not sure Usenet is within that category.Since I'm using SSL, I'm not sure the protocol would be identified even if it were within that category. Any help is appreciated.
Try asking for help here. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/
This has helped a lot of people.

What is it identified as in "App Analysis"?

You can either redirect it (if it is identified as something), or make a custom rule using the script linked above to filter by ports/servers used.

You can even stick it in "Defaults" which have lower priority than "File Downloads"

Reset the QoS stats, start up a usenet DL and then watch the stats, should be easy to see which category it goes into, then drop that to the bottom of priority.
Or yeah, read up on JR's goodness and categorize it however you want.

Just checked and usenet goes through voip and instant messaging for me.

The "name" under App Analysis is required if you want to do a redirection for an existing identified app.

Otherwise use ports (since you control the port definition, this option might be more stable, since it would be immune to QOS database changes by Asus/TrendMicro)

The "name" under App Analysis is required if you want to do a redirection for an existing identified app.

Otherwise use ports (since you control the port definition, this option might be more stable, since it would be immune to QOS database changes by Asus/TrendMicro)
Its showing as NNTP traffic in APP analysis.

nntp is mark 0x80050004 0xc03f0000
Thanks Fresh, how would I move this into the file transfer category?

I tried the following but still classified the same:

${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match mark 0x80050004 0xc03f0000 flowid ${Downloads} #Newsgroups

Last edited:
Thanks Fresh, how would I move this into the file transfer category?

I tried the following but still classified the same:

${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match mark 0x80050004
0xc03f0000 flowid ${Downloads} #Newsgroups

0xc03f0000 should be 0xc03fffff

My mistake

I'm trying to do the same with no luck!

I have this line in my FreshJR_QOS file on the router :
realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match mark 0x80050004 0xc03fffff flowid ${Downloads} #Newsgroups

And it is under the last Gaming 3/3 rule

NNTP is still classified as VOIP, and when i check the classification :

/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -appdb "nntp"
NNTP
Cat: VoIP
Mark: 0x80050004 0xc03fffff
Prio: 7

Any ideas??

I'm trying to do the same with no luck!

I have this line in my FreshJR_QOS file on the router :
realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match mark 0x80050004 0xc03fffff flowid ${Downloads} #Newsgroups

And it is under the last Gaming 3/3 rule

NNTP is still classified as VOIP, and when i check the classification :

/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -appdb "nntp"
NNTP
Cat: VoIP
Mark: 0x80050004 0xc03fffff
Prio: 7

Any ideas??

Do you have teamviewer.

I am a little stumped as that should work.

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't have teamviewer, but here is some more info.
SW Version : Merlin v 384.5
Router model : AC68U

I've uploaded the full FreshJR_QOS_Fast-v1 file here, and when i changed it i disabled QoS in the GUI, then ran through as if it was a new install.
Still have NNTP classified as VoIP:
upload_2018-6-14_17-21-17.png

Attachments

• FreshJR_QOS_fast_v1.txt
    33.5 KB · Views: 230
Appdb will always show the original location.

Where is traffic actually going.

Last edited:
Ahh, that explains it!
I've just started an NNTP transfer, and it looks like its going into the "file Transferring" class, hooray!

Thanks again.

Does anyone know why NNTP upload still gets prioritized as VOIP? i have
realtc filter add dev eth0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match mark 0x80050004 0xc03fffff flowid ${Downloads} #Newsgroups
in my upload rules under the 2 gaming options?

Does anyone know why NNTP upload still gets prioritized as VOIP? i have
realtc filter add dev eth0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match mark 0x80050004 0xc03fffff flowid ${Downloads} #Newsgroups
in my upload rules under the 2 gaming options?

eth0 is the upload interface
0x8 is a download mark.

You can’t mix and match

Eg.
download — br0 — 0x8 marks
upload — eth0 — 0x4 marks

Download rules have to be in the downloads portion of the script.
Upload rules have to be in the upload portion of the script.
Iptable rules have to be in the iptable section on the fast version.

Pay close attention to the difference between upload and download rules and also their positioning.

eth0 is the upload interface
0x8 is a download mark.

You can’t mix and match

Eg.
download — br0 — 0x8 marks
upload — eth0 — 0x4 marks

Download rules have to be in the downloads portion of the script.
Upload rules have to be in the upload portion of the script.
Iptable rules have to be in the iptable section on the fast version.

Pay close attention to the difference between upload and download rules and also their positioning.

ah, got it working now, thank you for your help and all your hard work!

I'm the OP and I finally got this working after all these months thanks to FreshJR's script.