What's new

I love my RT-AC66U, but ....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tokyo_networking

Regular Contributor
I love my RT-AC66U, but it is getting a bit old. Any suggestions for a replacement?

I am not looking for faster wireless as most of my house is running wired gigabit LAN with only my mobile devices connected through wireless.

So I mostly look at upgrading the CPU. I more interested in a solid firmware implementation with a complete feature set.

I would consider the RT-AC68U, but I cannot put it flat.

Other routers are ugly monsters with power bricks which are bigger, heavier, and hotter than your typical stone brick.

Anyone has any suggestions? I am more looking for a sleek BMW than an outrageous monster truck.

The RT-AC56U is still the most inexpensive 'current' router you can buy (on sale, around $50 or so).

With RMerlin's firmware (or the forks thereof) installed on it, it has almost all the features all current routers have. Plus, it is small/cute looking too. :)

While the processor upgrade seems like a nominal 33% at first glance, don't forget to take into consideration that the 'AC66U is a single core 600MHz model and the 'AC56U is a dual core 800MHz unit. It easily feels twice as fast to me when I use both back to back for different customers. :)

If you want the best bang for the buck, the RT-AC1900P was recently featured for $175 (on sale) at Best Buy. This is the best version of the venerable RT-AC68U series and will give you 233% (1.4GHz) faster processor (plus dual core too) over the single core 600MHz powered 'AC66U you have now. I don't know if this will lie flat, but the even more current RT-AC3100 with the same processor, double the ram and double the NVRAM does. The RT-AC3100 has been on sale in the $191 range. Easily the best bang for the buck winner at that price.

Wow! Don't replace just because of FOMO! My RT-N66U is still happily chucking along and able to serve my content to my Chromecast 2 plus other devices connected through it's AP function. My only real push for upgrading would be if most of my devices started to have support for the AC standard. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!