What's new

I need an ethernet cable for gaming.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

element72

Occasional Visitor
Please recommend me any trustworthy US websites you guys purchase ethernet cables, and let me know if I should get STP or UTP. And are flat cables ok for low latency? Should I check to make sure that the ethernet cable from the modem to router is cat 5e or it doesn't matter?

I need a white ethernet cable that is about 100 ft long. The cord will be lifted across a hall, through a door to my room, then to my PC. 75ft cable might work too, but I have no idea until I measure the setup tomorrow.

Another setup I am considering is running the cable through the attic.

They seem the same. From my experience there have been sellers that lie or do not display the protocol exactly. Once i bought 2 30ft cables that happen to be cat5 not CAT5e from amazon.

Cat5E is very important for 1Gb/s link and for gaming. Gold plated contects generally dont matter unless the slot uses gold plated contacts too. Pure copper cores are better than copper clad aluminium even if they are heavier but they give 1Gb/s link properly up to 100M.

The amazon link lists the speeds but it can be sold from a variety of sellers whereas monoprice is a single seller so it wont be from some random seller.

The recommendations above are good ones. Monoprice is very reliable. Amazon sells their products, too. Reviews are very helpful here. An item with a lot of reviews and high stars is probably going to work well. Monoprice has an occasional clunker, as all mfgrs do. The reviews will help you here. Cables of any type from the big box stores are a moneymaker. Order online until / unless you are familiar with products and common prices.

Cat5E is a good choice for you in this application. Cat6 would cost more and yield no benefit just for a patch cable. If you were wiring your whole house, then Cat6 would be a better choice but you would most likely be interested in bulk cable, tools and learning how to install it.

Do not get a STP cable unless you know how to properly ground it.
It will just cause more issues than it will solve.
Flat cables (Rated at spec) operate exactly the same as round cables.
They are just designed for being easier to run under carpets for places like offices and conference rooms.

Just get this one:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11229

I prefer that design of tip vs the standard boot.
Spending more money will not decrease latency for you by any amount measurable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!