What's new

I wonder if anyone else has noticed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture
there seems to have been an uptick in the gaming crowd asking networking (particularly QoS and IPv6 as they pertain to reducing latency and stabilizing their connections) questions here; and
Merlin has been clearing out the deadwood from the github issues. (I suspect v386 might be closer than ppl are letting on...)

maybe it's just me <shrug> but I think it's good to see a push for progress and understanding (especially from a typically more youthful demographic) in these locked down, increasingly frustrating and fractional, "hurry up and wait" times

The gaming community is waking up to the likes of Skynet and how handy it is for blocking bad servers.(Skynet)
The Asus routers with Merlin has handy QoS too.
Not surprised more are heading this way :)

I haven't seen any either... - Hey! Another one just went by! :D:D:D

Merlin has been clearing out the deadwood from the github issues.

No, it`s just a last, final attempt at clearing up this useless mess that the issue tracker has become. Next stage will be to completely disable it, because I'm tired of clearing my inbox of these notifications from people who can't read when the front page says "Do not use this for support requests". Or non-devs randomly clicking on stuff they don't understand, and when they see "Oh, here's a text field that lets me type text, let's type my support request there!", ending up creating a pull request for code that I have to clean up, and deal with the user getting angry because he's being told not to use a developer website if he's a regular user. I don't feel like dealing with this crap right now.

No, it`s just a last, final attempt at clearing up this useless mess that the issue tracker has become. Next stage will be to completely disable it, because I'm tired of clearing my inbox of these notifications from people who can't read when the front page says "Do not use this for support requests". Or non-devs randomly clicking on stuff they don't understand, and when they see "Oh, here's a text field that lets me type text, let's type my support request there!", ending up creating a pull request for code that I have to clean up, and deal with the user getting angry because he's being told not to use a developer website if he's a regular user. I don't feel like dealing with this crap right now.
@RMerlin Let us try to help those users as much as possible. We have a lot of users with vast knowledge with varying backgrounds that I think the majority of questions could be answered by us "Senior or Part of Furniture" users. Granted a lot of them are the same question over and over but that's the least we could do. Let us help you with those!

@RMerlin Let us try to help those users as much as possible. We have a lot of users with vast knowledge with varying backgrounds that I think the majority of questions could be answered by us "Senior or Part of Furniture" users. Granted a lot of them are the same question over and over but that's the least we could do. Let us help you with those!

Not much you can do if these people keep ignoring my requests that they post support requests on the forums, not on a developer's RCS portal... This is precisely why I tell people to come here for support.

I like this idea, but would involve monitoring github, and probably a re-org here (to increase signal and reduce noise) to be able to point people to.
What I think might probably work better (and I'd love to see) is mod-types here who are experts at specifics (iptables, ipv6, etc...the more esoteric things to general users), like @L&LD seems to be for router config/when to reset and how. Maybe even some of them whose areas of expertise overlap could do Zoom/Jitsi seminars that are recorded and posted to a video archive (if theyre comfortable with that) to reference (YouTube Channel?)

I like this idea, but would involve monitoring github, and probably a re-org here (to increase signal and reduce noise) to be able to point people to.
What I think might probably work better (and I'd love to see) is mod-types here who are experts at specifics (iptables, ipv6, etc...the more esoteric things to general users), like @L&LD seems to be for router config/when to reset and how. Maybe even some of them whose areas of expertise overlap could do Zoom/Jitsi seminars that are recorded and posted to a video archive (if theyre comfortable with that) to reference (YouTube Channel?)
I spend enough of my work life providing support and free time doing dev work and support, so no thanks from me!

I spend enough of my work life providing support and free time doing dev work and support, so no thanks from me!
I agree with @Jack Yaz, adding that type of support (making youtube videos, seminars, etc...) would be too much to ask of people who devote their free time to this project. Besides that still wouldn't stop people from asking for support within the comments section instead of coming here for support. For example I still see people commenting on the Merlin reddit section which I usually try to send them this way.

Github is a development site, not a support site. The issue tracker should simply not be used for support requests. Mixing up the two leads to nothing but a huge mess.

The problem isn't the lack of support resource, this forum is very active, with the community providing tons of end-user support. The problem is people failing at reading 101. Yet again this week this very forum had ANOTHER user asking about his converted TM device despite the frigging sticky posts right in this forum stating in uppercased characters that it`s not supported.

We can't force people to read.

The TM-AC1900 router. I am shocked that people are still hacking that old chestnut even though Asus has the bootloader locked down tighter than Fort Knox and TMO hasn't provided any support for years.

Github is a development site, not a support site. The issue tracker should simply not be used for support requests. Mixing up the two leads to nothing but a huge mess.
I am not familiar at all with Github, but I have to wonder if it could implement some variety of auto-response that says "This is for tracking documented issues only. For support requests please surf to ..............."

I am not familiar at all with Github, but I have to wonder if it could implement some variety of auto-response that says "This is for tracking documented issues only. For support requests please surf to ..............."

People who can't read the front page will also fail to read any auto-reply (which would anyway only be posted after the fact).

As we say in IT support, some people are not trainable.

With the 4 Ds in mind (Do it now, Do it later, Delegate it, or Dump it), is the github clearing issues task something you could delegate to a community member? I mean, there must be someone who is (a) motivated to help, (b) able to help, and (c) trusted to not stuff it up. Just an idea anyways!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!