What's new

I'm getting a new Asus GT-AX-11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cain

Occasional Visitor
I have used and loved Merlin in the past on previous routers.

Anyone here with this router and Merlin? Have you tested both Asus and Merlin? Thoughts? Thx!

You may get eventually Asus GT-AX11000. My question to you is why? What do you expect from a 3-radio router that looks like just shot dead giant spider? Not a very popular model here on SNB. Check the Asus AX Routers sub-forum and see for yourself.

Edit: Okay, you had an ??-AC5300 in the past. That explains partially your next router choice. Do you still have it, GT or RT?

Last edited:
RT (And it looks like a giant mutant shot dead spider, upside down!) ;-)

Last edited:
You may get eventually Asus GT-AX11000. My question to you is why? What do you expect from a 3-radio router that looks like just shot dead giant spider? Not a very popular model here on SNB. Check the Asus AX Routers sub-forum and see for yourself.

Edit: Okay, you had an ??-AC5300 in the past. That explains partially your next router choice. Do you still have it, GT or RT?
That raises a question, I have 2x RT-AC5300 that serve their purpose fine. (heavily relying on a stable VPN client connection (clean config of Merlin with no add-ons). If I want to replace them with an AX model (obviously Asus Merlin based) what would be the best choice? Given the awesome experience with the AC5300/Merlin, my first pick would be a GT-AX11000 but you are hinting otherwise. A clear advize would be highly appreciated as you hint that the AX11000 would not be wise.... Thanks in advance.

I would go with tri-radio model only in 2 use case scenarios - 1. Many devices per router, >60 clients; 2. Dedicated wireless backhaul channel. You guys both have at least one tri-band router already and that explains why you want another. For places with wired backhaul available and not too many active wireless clients AX86U is a better fit, it has the same CPU/RAM, it's cheaper and with more compact design. GT-AX11000 is not a very popular model because of the physical size, high price and it just recently got Asuswrt-Merlin support, I guess.

That raises a question, I have 2x RT-AC5300 that serve their purpose fine. (heavily relying on a stable VPN client connection (clean config of Merlin with no add-ons). If I want to replace them with an AX model (obviously Asus Merlin based) what would be the best choice? Given the awesome experience with the AC5300/Merlin, my first pick would be a GT-AX11000 but you are hinting otherwise. A clear advize would be highly appreciated as you hint that the AX11000 would not be wise.... Thanks in advance.

Well stay tuned. I considered a second 5300, but decided on a more "current" router. the one that sells the best and has the best reviews is the AX11000. I like that it also has three channels.

I'm getting my new AX11000 this week, I'll give you my first-hand impressions.

I would go with tri-radio model only in 2 use case scenarios - 1. Many devices per router, >60 clients; 2. Dedicated wireless backhaul channel. You guys both have at least one tri-band router already and that explains why you want another. For places with wired backhaul available and not too many active wireless clients AX86U is a better fit, it has the same CPU/RAM, it's cheaper and with more compact design. GT-AX11000 is not a very popular model because of the physical size, high price and it just recently got Asuswrt-Merlin support, I guess.

Thanks for the feedback Tech! I like the speed of the second 5G channel for my ipad and iphone. I have wired backhaul. I'll take a look at the AX86U, as you suggested. Take care.

I like the speed of the second 5G channel for my ipad and iphone.

What is that speed your iPad and iPhone need and on a separate Wi-Fi channel on top of that? I don't know @SheikhSheikha setup details, he may have some benefits from GT-AX11000, but you definitely don't need a 3-radio router. You'll be paying more for no real performance benefits and RGB lights.

I, too, recently upgraded from an RT-AC5300 to the GT-AX11000 - what I learned in this process was that the AX provides me with a much more stable connection to the far flung dropcams and rings; that you must disable all the Trendnet AI stuff and say no to the privacy stuff; and that the AX boots/reboots WAAAAY faster than the old AC did. I also love that its 2.5 g port connects to my MB8611 2.5g port finally giving me the whole Gbs connection I was paying for. It can be (is) a little finnicky in getting its DHCP assigned address from the MB8611 - but I think this is just a Comcast issue, as I have had it with other manufacturers modems and routers. I use the link aggregation to feed my managed tplink switch at 2 Gbps so downloads and uploads are now lightning fast throughout my home network of 35 devices. I will recommend as others - that once you flash the new Merlin firmware - the first thing you do is a factory reset - before you spend your time wading through the maze of the AX's menus to configure it just right.

Trendnet AI stuff and say no to the privacy stuff; and that the AX boots/reboots WAAAAY faster than the old AC did.

TrendMicro, not Trendnet. The new router boots faster because of newer and faster hardware, not because of AX radios. With your 35 devices you could easily go with cheaper and smaller footprint AX86U model. It also has 2.5Gb port and the same internals as AX11000, minus the 3rd radio.

I, too, recently upgraded from an RT-AC5300 to the GT-AX11000 - what I learned in this process was that the AX provides me with a much more stable connection to the far flung dropcams and rings; that you must disable all the Trendnet AI stuff and say no to the privacy stuff; and that the AX boots/reboots WAAAAY faster than the old AC did. I also love that its 2.5 g port connects to my MB8611 2.5g port finally giving me the whole Gbs connection I was paying for. It can be (is) a little finnicky in getting its DHCP assigned address from the MB8611 - but I think this is just a Comcast issue, as I have had it with other manufacturers modems and routers. I use the link aggregation to feed my managed tplink switch at 2 Gbps so downloads and uploads are now lightning fast throughout my home network of 35 devices. I will recommend as others - that once you flash the new Merlin firmware - the first thing you do is a factory reset - before you spend your time wading through the maze of the AX's menus to configure it just right.
Thank for the feedback! I have about 9 Nest Cams, three levels of thermostats, and plan to add two Nest doorbells. My house is three levels, bottom half is concrete block, faced by brick. I'm getting my AX11000 this week, and looking forward to fiddling with it. I'm not concerned about the cost, I keep a router 5+ years.

The GT-AX11000 was "okay" running as stock. It initially had a few bugs with ipv6 and wan drop connections, but Asus worked that out after a few Firmware releases, but enough of stock ASUS +GT-AX11000 IMO! anything that Rmerlins firmware touches turns to theoretical gold. RMerlins Policy VPN routing is far superior to the stock vpnfusion mumbo-jumbo. RMerlin Firmware+GTAX11000= Beast of a router.

Anyone here with this router and Merlin? Have you tested both Asus and Merlin? Thoughts? Thx!

BTW- I have been running @RMerlin firmware on GT-AX11000 since the initial support was added, I have not looked back.

I have a GT-AX11000 on Merlin and it's great. I got it as a replacement when my second RT-AX89X went tits up.

The GT-AX11000 was "okay" running as stock. It initially had a few bugs with ipv6 and wan drop connections, but Asus worked that out after a few Firmware releases, but enough of stock ASUS +GT-AX11000 IMO! anything that Rmerlins firmware touches turns to theoretical gold. RMerlins Policy VPN routing is far superior to the stock vpnfusion mumbo-jumbo. RMerlin Firmware+GTAX11000= Beast of a router.

BTW- I have been running @RMerlin firmware on GT-AX11000 since the initial support was added, I have not looked back.
Thank you! That was my question, stock Asus vs Merlin. Take care!

I use Merlin's firmware largely for the ability to run Cake. Bufferbloat has always been as issue for me, but not with Cake. No more getting shot AFTER hiding behind a wall in Battlefield. :)

I also appreciate the ability to disable all of the power-saving features (maybe possible with stock firmware?). Temps are always low for me in all configurations (without adding a fan), but I put my router on a laptop cooler to keep temps lower.

Finally, I have the second 5 GHz radio devoted to wireless VR streaming to my Quest 2. Works flawlessly. I wouldn't have believed that streaming VR over wifi could produce reasonable results, but it's nearly as good as wired VR in both latency and visual quality.

Well stay tuned. I considered a second 5300, but decided on a more "current" router. the one that sells the best and has the best reviews is the AX11000. I like that it also has three channels.

I'm getting my new AX11000 this week, I'll give you my first-hand impressions.
Thanks i'm buying an ax1100 will be waiting for your thoughts , review on it . I'mreplacing mt rt 5300 as well . Tri bnd is needed here