I'm going insane! Which NAS? Synology or Qnaps

Discussion in 'NAS Buying Advice' started by Frankieplus, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Frankieplus

Frankieplus New Around Here

I'm really going crazy here..

I've been considering the Synology DS1512+ 5 Bay or possibly the Qnaps TS-419P II 4 Bay.. Or the Qnaps TS-569 Pro 5 bay maybe?

I'm real new to all of this hence why I'm so stuck.

I want to buy a good product that is user and Apple-Mac friendly. I do not want to use it for Time Machine. I have time capsule for that.

The reason I'm buying a NAS is to backup huge video files. I do video editing for work and have large files to move around..

Each project I start work on is around 300-500 gig in size and I edit on my thunderbolt local drive.. But every hour I want to refresh the backup of the project I'm working on to my NAS..

Just as a side question.. I noticed that with the Synology I can connect a cheap Western Digital 4TB MyBook drive to the esata port of the Synology and back it up. Can I do this qith Qnaps NAS's?

Other than for work, I'd like to stream movies from the NAS as well and have access to the NAS from all my devices.

The more I read up on NAS's in general the more cool things I can find to do with them, like have an iTunes streaming library on them etc.. So again, I'm after a model that has cool features that I can mess around with..

Which of the above NAS units would bets fit my needs? I guess fast read/write speed is important due to the large video content.

The NAS will be in a home use environment. I'm not a large corporation with hundreds of user accessing data..

User friendliness is also important because although I'm very tech savvy I'm no network expert.

Any help here would be appreciated..

-Frankie

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

QNAP and Synology are comparable in features and will do what you need them to do. Both can do scheduled backups to attached drives and rsync servers over a network.
    You may want to look at models supporting USB 3.0. Sometimes backup via it is faster than via eSATA. Check the NAS Charts.