What's new

Improving performance of RT-N66U... what are my options?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alexbc

Regular Contributor
I currently have RT-N66U, it is housed in a box next to my Fibre connection, so I don't have a large room for a big router. I also live in a 1200 sq. feet condo, with DOZENS of interference from condos next to me.

It is doing OK overall, BUT could use stronger 5GHz signal in one room, and somehow a way to get 2.4GHz signal better on the other end for a SmartTV where there are 6-7 very strong signals from other routers.

So, what are my options? Problem is size, The RT-AC66U would perfectly fit in place of this one, but I am not so sure if it improves anything (have only 2 AC devices), what other option may help (or other firmwares, etc...).

Thanks

I just went through snb Router charts, and compared N66U and AC66U test numbers... N66U test was a different procedure though vs. how AC66U was tested, so I couldn't get them on a same chart, but are these numbers representative of relevant performance?

2.4GHz Downlink
AC66U - 88.7
N66U - 99.7

2.4GHz- UpDown
AC66U - 164.3
N66U - 164.2

2.4GHz- Downlink Profile
AC66U - 84
N66U - 100

5GHz Downlink
AC66 - 177.9
N66 - 158.3

5GHz UpDown
AC66U - 497.2
N66U - 325.4

5GHz Downlink Profile
AC66U - 247
N66U - 165

I would disregard those numbers (cannot be directly compared).

Is your router in the center of the area to be covered wirelessly?

What firmware are you running on it? john9527's firmware may give you the edge you need.

The RT-AC66U is not a model I would recommend (many of my customers have died).

Particularly if you can locate the router in the center of the coverage area, the RT-AC56U will give you a major boost in coverage, the 5GHz band in particular vs. the RT-N66U you have now (placement and orientation are important).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Follow the steps in the link above to upgrade your router's firmware to the latest version and/or get it to a known state before doing the following.

Test each channel for throughput, consistency, stability and lowest latency from an AC powered laptop in various locations to a wired computer with large test files (2GB or larger).

Do this for each band with the 2.4GHz band testing only channel 1, 6 and 11 in 20MHz mode and the 5GHz band testing each channel you have available (as these do not overlap as the 2.4GHz band channels do).

Thanks, the router is pretty much in the middle of the condo, but on the east side, as that's the only available option.

I am on stock firmware, have had issues in the past with modding the firmwares, but never tried on this. I guess I could try the updated firmware to see how it goes.

I also did a lot of tests, but on battery laptop (didn't pay attention), and what I found was that channel 2, 8 was fastest, channel 6 was the worst and 1, 11 were not far behind. I receiver over 2 dozens other signals from neighbours and 80% are on channels 1, 6 ,11.

Thanks, the router is pretty much in the middle of the condo, but on the east side, as that's the only available option.

I am on stock firmware, have had issues in the past with modding the firmwares, but never tried on this. I guess I could try the updated firmware to see how it goes.

I also did a lot of tests, but on battery laptop (didn't pay attention), and what I found was that channel 2, 8 was fastest, channel 6 was the worst and 1, 11 were not far behind. I receiver over 2 dozens other signals from neighbours and 80% are on channels 1, 6 ,11.

Pretty much in the middle but east side (of what)?

Stock firmware isn't specific enough. What version?

Be careful of the latest official Asus firmware as it could limit your ability to try different forks.

RMerlin's and john9527's fork are the ones I would recommend.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-380-59-is-now-available.32469/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v17e8-v18b1.18914/

Your last paragraph isn't very informative. What tests did you do? How did you do them? What was the actual results?

Channel 2 will get (and give) interference from both channels 1 and 6 (even in 20MHz width mode). Channel 8 will get (and give) interference from both channels 6 and 11 (even in 20MHz width mode).

How many routers are on other channels isn't as important as the actual utilization of those other routers.

Being on a channel that others are on in such close proximity is a better option. It allows the routers to share the available spectrum fairly. When you're not on the same channel, this cannot happen and any other activity on overlapping channels will be seen as simple interference and the router cannot adjust for this (your throughput, latency or consistency of transfers) will suffer.

Another thing to note is that the time you test is important too. If you're testing when most of the surrounding routers are idle, your conclusions will not match your results when they aren't and you're using your network then.

East wall of the apartment but middle length wise. So not exactly in the center.

Now I'm on the latest Asus firmware available when your check update firmware in the admin console. Can check the version when I get home.

For testing, I tested SpeedTest.net as well as speed transfer of 1.5GB file from router USB to my laptop. On channels 2, 8 I got something like 7-8MB/s, on most other channels 3-4MB/s and I tested like 3 times.

Also, here's a list of signals I get at 6am. They get stronger and grow by the afternoon. My router is Darius and Xerxes.

WiFi-Snapshot.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

East wall of the apartment but middle length wise. So not exactly in the center.

Now I'm on the latest Asus firmware available when your check update firmware in the admin console. Can check the version when I get home.

For testing, I tested SpeedTest.net as well as speed transfer of 1.5GB file from router USB to my laptop. On channels 2, 8 I got something like 7-8MB/s, on most other channels 3-4MB/s and I tested like 3 times.

Also, here's a list of signals I get at 6am. They get stronger and grow by the afternoon. My router is Darius and Xerxes.

WiFi-Snapshot.png

You are not testing your WiFi with the tests you run.

Try a lower channel on the 5GHz band.

When I used the 66u the best channels I found were 36 and 48 with 36 doing a bit better than 48.

I currently have RT-N66U,

could use stronger 5GHz signal in one room, and somehow a way to get 2.4GHz signal better on the other end for a SmartTV where there are 6-7 very strong signals from other routers.

So, what are my options?

We have installed about 20 RT-N66U routers in different homes around St. Louis. The results, no surprise, vary.

In general we have learned two things about that router:

1) The best range has been observed with the John's Fork firmware. It uses older radio drivers ("sdk5") that restore the range that existed before the newer factory firmware was introduced, while still maintaining the newer security features.

2) Higher gain antennas achieve better range for clients located at right angles to the antenna axis, at the cost of less coverage at angles greater than 20 or 30 degrees away from perpendicular (the "donut" pattern).

Hope this helps!

See post 3. :)
Thanks, but *how* do I measure these things? What tool to use to measure throughput, latency, etc...? All I can do is to measure the time it takes to transfer the 2GB file.

Test each channel for throughput, consistency, stability and lowest latency from an AC powered laptop in various locations to a wired computer with large test files (2GB or larger).

Do this for each band with the 2.4GHz band testing only channel 1, 6 and 11 in 20MHz mode and the 5GHz band testing each channel you have available (as these do not overlap as the 2.4GHz band channels do).

Just a few more added info.

Firmware version: 3.0.0.4.378_9459

While 2.4GHz *signal* is generally stronger all around the apartment, my download speeds are significantly worse and less consistent than 5GHz that has LOWER signal strength! I guess that's all due to interference.

I haven't done complicated tests, but using SpeedTest.net, back to back, on my ISP 50Mbps connection (ISP is Fibre, goes upto 300MBps if you paid more), on 5GHz, I get 48-50 MBps all the time, and it's a flat chart, on 2.4GHz, I am getting 15-41 and it's very choppy chart. For now, looks like Channel 1 has the weakest signals from other routers, while channel 6 is super strong (must be the one right next to me), and 11 is right behind.

My next steps are to try different firmwares to see what works best. Is there any precaution on how to ensure I can recover the router if an update goes wrong?

Last, here's a pic of where the router is setup. Would I have ANY better luck with RT-AC66U vs. N66U?

Router_pic.jpg

Last edited:
Two observations.

That firmware is very old and not worth troubleshooting, imo.

That router location can only be worse if it was a six sided metal box it was in. ;)

Upgrade to RMerlin's 380.59 final firmware followed by a minimal and manual configuration after a reset to factory defaults.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Move the router out of the bottom of that steel box (0r anywhere near it).

I just updated to Merlin Fork firmware but it's 374. It looks like it has improved the 5Ghz reception a bit but that wasn't the issue as much.

The location is horrendous but that's where the Ethernet to the ISP comes in.

I just updated to Merlin Fork firmware but it's 374. It looks like it has improved the 5Ghz reception a bit but that wasn't the issue as much.

An 374 version is even older than what you had. The point where the ISP comes in isn't an excuse to locate the router there.

If you want better WiFi, it has to be moved out and away from that box.

Can you put it on top of the box? Let those radio waves out of their cage..........

I have to drill a hole in the box and run the wires out. Problem is, this box is the property of my cable company. I guess I could do it and see if they find out or not.

I have to drill a hole in the box and run the wires out.

Are there no other other wires already leaving the box? Power? Coaxial cable? Ethernet?

I see several circular knock-outs for additional wiring in your photograph. Just punch one out--that's what they are for.

No. The box is actually mostly inside the wall. All the wires incoming are from the outside for Cable, Internet and Phone.