What's new

In 2-prong outlets household, 3-prong 1200 Mbps MIMO units vs. older 2-prong 1000 Mbps units?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

patricksignsup

New Around Here
I am looking into Powerline adapter options for friends with a mid-century split-level home filled with two-prong outlets.

I'm not personally familiar with Powerline networking equipment, so I don't know what effect using a 3-prong MIMO kit like the set of Zyxel 1200 Mbps PLA-5405 units through 3-to-2-prong plug adapters versus getting a 2-prong set like the Zyxel 1000 Mbps PLA-5206 units.

The distance is maybe 40-50 feet down 1/2 level and the current N300 wireless router has an unstable signal for streaming Netflix to a SmartTV. The Powerline adapters seem like the best option to connect the two locations for a reasonable cost in theory, figuring a wireless extender of comparable performance will be $50 more and running ethernet lines is out of the question. While the home has 2-prong outlets, I don't know if the underlying wiring is ungrounded and the house isn't old enough to have ancient wiring. While the outlets are surely not on the same circuit, neither of the circuits in question would also service major appliances as far as I could tell.

**** THE QUESTIONS ****
Are they likely to see performance at least as good using the newer 3-prong PLA-5405 kit on 2-prong outlets, even without MIMO capability, as they'd expect from a kit like the PLA5206 that was designed for 2-prong outlet use? And are instances of disruptive interference and severely limited throughput rare enough that I shouldn't consider it a major risk to purchase? You can assume approximately the same price for both kits. Would a different unit be more appropriate for this usage scenario?

** my last experience with wifi range extenders had them at a a significant disadvantage due to the automatic 1/2 throughput issue. I haven't kept up with the tech in the last 2 years, so I am really basing my technology comparison on dated, but as far as I know, still current understanding. In addition, they currently have 2 wireless routers and only a real need to connect the TV at this point, so there is no weight given to the broader coverage of wifi extension versus the point-to-point of Powerline.

The units under consideration:
Zyxel PLA-5405KIT
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...s-powerline-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-reviewed

Zyxel PLA-5602KIT
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...-powerline-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-reviewedg

Thanks for any input!

PS. the electric wiring distance between the 2 outlets, through the breaker box, is likely not less than 100 feet or more than 200 feet. (wouldn't let me edit the post)

I don't know for sure how AV2-MIMO (3 prong) adapters would behave if you disconnect one of the signal paths. But I got bit a long time ago by trying to use a 3x3 wireless adapter in a laptop that had only two antennas.

The problem was that the adapter reported available link rates based on its 3x3 design. But when the AP tried to use those rates, they couldn't be supported due to the missing antenna. So the connection rate had to be re-negotiated. This behavior continued to cycle, reducing throughput and connection stability.

I'd buy the two-prong adapters from someplace where I could return them.

I don't know for sure how AV2-MIMO (3 prong) adapters would behave if you disconnect one of the signal paths. But I got bit a long time ago by trying to use a 3x3 wireless adapter in a laptop that had only two antennas.

The problem was that the adapter reported available link rates based on its 3x3 design. But when the AP tried to use those rates, they couldn't be supported due to the missing antenna. So the connection rate had to be re-negotiated. This behavior continued to cycle, reducing throughput and connection stability.

I'd buy the two-prong adapters from someplace where I could return them.
Thanks. The only thing I've seen about the path choice is the lay-specs saying that their MIMO actively chooses the 2 connections of the 3 with the quickest path. That doesn't mean it only needs two but it left me wondering maybe.

My personal experience plugging in a three prong 1000 mbps powerline adapter into two prongs socket was performance that was about 1/3 as fast as when I have finally connected it properly. This does not quite line up with the theoretical difference in the speeds that I should have seen, but that was just my experience. My adapter (Fing! Powerline 1000E) is - as far as I can tell - using the same technology as the Zyxel PLA-5405KIT (MIMO).

I would go with the SISO (Zyxel PLA-5602KIT) option since it seems to be designed for the wider frequency band of 0-85 mhz versus the narrower band used on the MIMO kit.

Please don't use a ground-breaker (3 into 2 prong adapter) - poor adapter performance and a serious safety issue to boot - I wish these were banned outright - as the center-screw assumes that the outlet is grounded which it may or may not be... these are really scary stuff.

ground_braker.jpg

I've found that most old homes with 2 prong outlets do not have a 3rd wire/ground brought to the outlet.
Some hacks put in a 3 prong outlet but can't / don't run new 3 conductor ROMEX. That's probably not to code and an example of things Fire Insurance companies like (an out).

I've found that most old homes with 2 prong outlets do not have a 3rd wire/ground brought to the outlet.
Some hacks put in a 3 prong outlet but can't / don't run new 3 conductor ROMEX. That's probably not to code and an example of things Fire Insurance companies like (an out).

It is expressly against national code to install a 3 prong outlet in a box that is lacking a ground. I have also never seen any prong outlet boxes that were (intentionally) grounded. I have certainly seen a lot of boxes that were grounded instead of the outlet itself having the ground terminal connected, which still works fine, I just don't happen to like it (in part because it means you must use a metal outlet box, which is inherently less safe than a polymer box).

Never plug something that is 3 wire in to a 2 wire outlet. If it means some of your wiring has to be updated so you can use 3-wire outlets properly, so be it. Expensive it is, but cheaper than causing a fire or electrocution.

You mean add a grounded outlet in a setup that uses BX? Sure, completely kosher. I mean, I don't personally like it, but it does work just fine and is completely legit. I just don't like it, because again, I dislike metal outlet boxes. I've personally experienced and also seen a couple of cases where a misinstalled or damaged outlet grounded through the box, but not a sufficient ground to trip the breaker, only enough to arc nearly causing a fire in each case (caught after anything from a few minutes up to a couple of days after the arcing likely began).

Of course if properly installed and the outlet is never damaged, completely safe. Better to retro armored conduit wiring to 3-prong from 2-prong then leave your electrical ungrounded.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!