What's new

Inconsistent Internet Speeds - Need Help Troubleshooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kingzee

New Around Here
I've been using a DrayTek Vigor 130 VDSL2/ADSL2+ modem paired with an Asus58U router for over three years now. I'm with TalkTalk, and the maximum internet speed available in my area is around 72mbps. Unfortunately, ultra-fast fibre isn't expected for another two years.
My problem is that my internet speeds are inconsistent. Sometimes, when I test the internet speed, I can achieve up to 70mbps. However, more often than not, the speed drops significantly. When I run a speed test, I'm getting about 20mbps, but the actual download speed is only around 8mbps.

I've tried resetting both the modem and router, toggling QoS, and various other troubleshooting steps, but nothing seems to consistently improve the situation. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm missing a specific setting, if my devices are faulty, or if it's an issue with my internet provider, TalkTalk.

One thing I'm considering is switching to a single modem and router device, potentially from a different brand than Asus. However, one of my main concerns is that parental controls are essential for me, which is why I haven't used the modem and router provided by TalkTalk.

I'm willing to invest a bit to ensure a reliable connection, especially since we plan to move next year and anticipate faster internet speeds (300-500mbps). But for now, I want to fix this frustrating inconsistency in my internet speeds.
If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any advice on how to improve my current setup or recommendations for a new modem-router combo with robust parental controls, I'd greatly appreciate your insights.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I haven't used the modem and router provided by TalkTalk.

Connect the ISP provided equipment temporary and test again. If you see the same issue - call the ISP. They won't assist you if you use own equipment, but may eventually if you use theirs. If they manage to fix the connection - continue using their modem, but with your Asus as router.

I'm considering is switching to a single modem and router device

No need wasting money for something you already have and/or binding the new device to the current ISP technology when fiber connection is expected to become available at some point. You already did it once with this Vigor modem. What was the problem with ISP provided modem?

Last edited:
I've been using a DrayTek Vigor 130 VDSL2/ADSL2+ modem paired with an Asus58U router for over three years now. I'm with TalkTalk, and the maximum internet speed available in my area is around 72mbps. Unfortunately, ultra-fast fibre isn't expected for another two years.
My problem is that my internet speeds are inconsistent. Sometimes, when I test the internet speed, I can achieve up to 70mbps. However, more often than not, the speed drops significantly. When I run a speed test, I'm getting about 20mbps, but the actual download speed is only around 8mbps.

I've tried resetting both the modem and router, toggling QoS, and various other troubleshooting steps, but nothing seems to consistently improve the situation. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm missing a specific setting, if my devices are faulty, or if it's an issue with my internet provider, TalkTalk.

One thing I'm considering is switching to a single modem and router device, potentially from a different brand than Asus. However, one of my main concerns is that parental controls are essential for me, which is why I haven't used the modem and router provided by TalkTalk.

I'm willing to invest a bit to ensure a reliable connection, especially since we plan to move next year and anticipate faster internet speeds (300-500mbps). But for now, I want to fix this frustrating inconsistency in my internet speeds.
If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any advice on how to improve my current setup or recommendations for a new modem-router combo with robust parental controls, I'd greatly appreciate your insights.

Thank you in advance for your help!

There are a few things that could be happening here. The first is that certain times of day you may be getting a lot of interference on the VDSL connection from other cables resulting in errors on the line or even drops and reconnects at a much lower data rate. Under the 'Physical properties' on the Vigor for the PPP session ( I don't have a V130 but the stats are at least similar across many devices) you should be able to see the raw connect rate, number of TX/RX errors and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). If you look at this status when it's achieving a decent speed and again when it isn't you may be able to discern what's changed if anything.

The second thing I've discovered recently is that even if the VDSL modem connects to the street cabinet at a rate of say 70Mbits/sec the access devices in it or at the exchange cabinet may be throttled because of lack of overall capacity with many users passing data at the same time... your actual data throughput speed can also be throttled because of the particular tariff that you're on of course... is your a 'Max 80 Mbits type service'?

I had been using an Asus DSL-AX82U with built-in ADSL/VDSL on a pretty long local connection to the 'cabinet' for the past year or so which generally trained at a rate rate of ~40mbits and showed a SNR of only around 5db.. which is getting close to the minimum. In pursuit of a higher data rate I added an external Zyzel VMG1312 external modem/router in bridge mode and that regularly shows a healthy 9db SNR and allows a physical connection speed up to ~ 67Mbits. This may not of course be necessarily how 'good' the different modems are but just how well their characteristics match the particular line your VDSL is on, I've seen actually quite different results across the Asus built-in modem a BT VDSL modem, a Netgear DM200 and the Zyxel... with the Asus being by far the worst and the Zyxel the best.

Also check you don't have the DSL cable from your modem routing round or near any other wiring as that can affect things.

Good luck with chasing it down!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!