What's new

Inconsistent speeds with moca 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bacala muntoni

Occasional Visitor
I currently just set up two new actiontec ecb6200 adapters in my house. The setup is only 2 splits from my main line that enters my house. One to my modem and one to my room. I am using a 1ghz cable splitter at the main line and a 1 ghz splitter at my modem for the moca adapter and yes i have a moca filter on the main line comming in my house. My problem is i am getting fluctuating speeds, i pay for 250 down 20 up but when i do speed tests from my room i am getting 250 down then it will go down to 100ish constantly fluctuating. Can anyone help me or give some advice? Thanks

Edit:i changed the splitters to 2ghz same results. i was told on another website to access the ecb6200 settings and the problem should be in there so i did that the problem is im not tech savy so i dont know what it means so i will post

Edit: i was doing the speed tests on my playstation 4 internet broswer now that i connected my moca adapter to my computer i can only access google.com and no other website. Is it possible i have a firewall on my modem which is causing the speeds to flucuate on the moca adapters?
pictures
20180225_071557.jpg
20180225_071451.jpg
20180225_071459.jpg

short answer: no. The 6200s are just modems.
What grade of coax cable - RG6 or RG59 ?
A network sketch showing all the cables and connections up to the ISP modem and building entry would help us.
What else is on your network ?
Using an internet based speed test means that the results are going to be variable - any slowdowns on the internet, the ISP, your network will change the result.
Are you testing on wired connections only or are you using wireless ?

short answer: no. The 6200s are just modems.
What grade of coax cable - RG6 or RG59 ?
A network sketch showing all the cables and connections up to the ISP modem and building entry would help us.
What else is on your network ?
Using an internet based speed test means that the results are going to be variable - any slowdowns on the internet, the ISP, your network will change the result.
Are you testing on wired connections only or are you using wireless ?

We are using rg6 cable there are only 2 splits from the main line comming into the house, one to my main floor which feeds my modem and moca adapter and one to my room where i have the second moca adapter i am using wired to do the tests. When i test From my modem directly i get 250 down but from my adapter upstairs only 120

Did you install filters on every non-moca device that shares that coax? non-moca compatible cable boxes and cable modems can also cause you issues when connected directly no filter. All coax cables in house terminated to a device not just hanging off the splitter?

Something seems not quite right with your setup given that image where the TX power is 3 dBm, the max power amplification allowed (as opposed to being able to reduce the signal level). This indicates that your MoCA adapters are having to amplify the signal to overcome sub-optimal coax conditions. It's as though the adapters are having to push through way more than a simple splitter; almost like you have a powered amp or other obstruction in the way.

Given that the ECB6200 has both IN and OUT ports, could you provide more detail on exactly how you have everything connected? (The "IN" ports should be connected to your coax plant, the runs headed back to the central splitter, and the "OUT" ports capped with a 75-ohm terminator if unused.)

It would also be useful to know more about your modem and router, how they're connected and their brand & model #s, and if you have any other devices beside the modem connected to your coax plant.

Also, since you're having issues and are concerned about performance, you may want to take a brief step back and use a very simple TEST setup to baseline what your ECB6200 MoCA adapters are able to do when direct-connected to each other, with the rest of your coax plant out of the equation. That is, keep the main bridging MoCA adapter connected to your router via Ethernet, but bring the other adapter to the same room and connect them directly to each other via a known good coax cable ... "IN" port to "IN" port. Then power them up, and use your PC or a laptop connected to the second adapter to test your Internet download speed, if you wish, or use a tool such as LAN Speed Test, iPerf or jPerf with two computers to test the actual effective throughput over the coax/MoCA segment.

edit: p.s. I don't have data for comparison, but that RX PHY Rate of 583 Mbps seems pretty anemic for bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters, as well, so even the 3 dBm amplification is insufficient to get the adapters to their targeted PHY rates (i.e. in the neighborhood of 1400 Mbps for bonded/enhanced MoCA 2.0).
MoCA 2.0 supports two performance modes, Basic and Enhanced, with 400 Mbit/s and 800 Mbit/s net throughputs (MAC), using 700 Mbit/s and 1.4 Gbit/s PHY rates, respectively.

http://www.techplanners.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Basic-MoCA.pdf

Last edited:
20180226_181937.jpg
20180226_182617.jpg
20180226_182007.jpg
20180226_184749.jpg

That is my setup i think the problem is one out of two things the coax cable connecting the moca adapter to my modem has a short copper conductor and/or the coax from outside that connects to my room as a semi rusted copper conductor

Could well be. I still recommend running the direct-connect test to get a baseline performance with your coax plant out of the equation.
Also, since you're having issues and are concerned about performance, you may want to take a brief step back and use a very simple TEST setup to baseline what your ECB6200 MoCA adapters are able to do when direct-connected to each other, with the rest of your coax plant out of the equation. That is, keep the main bridging MoCA adapter connected to your router via Ethernet, but bring the other adapter to the same room and connect them directly to each other via a known good coax cable ... "IN" port to "IN" port. Then power them up, and use your PC or a laptop connected to the second adapter to test your Internet download speed, if you wish, or use a tool such as LAN Speed Test, iPerf or jPerf with two computers to test the actual effective throughput over the coax/MoCA segment.
And I'd also recommend considering some "designed for MoCA" splitters, such as the Holland GHS-PRO-M series (see here), spec'd for MoCA 2.0.

Could well be. I still recommend running the direct-connect test to get a baseline performance with your coax plant out of the equation.

And I'd also recommend considering some "designed for MoCA" splitters, such as the Holland GHS-PRO-M series (see here), spec'd for MoCA 2.0.
I was using 2ghz splitters before. It made no difference

I was using 2ghz splitters before. It made no difference
What merits a valid "MoCA" branding isn't as much the frequency range (though obviously the splitter needs to be spec'd through 1675 MHz), but having lower port isolation at the MoCA frequencies.

As I said, I view the direct-connect test as a higher priority.

do you have TVs or set top boxes (for tv) connected on the coax ?
do you have TVs or set top boxes (for tv) connected on the coax ?
What merits a valid "MoCA" branding isn't as much the frequency range (though obviously the splitter needs to be spec'd through 1675 MHz), but having lower port isolation at the MoCA frequencies.

As I said, I view the direct-connect test as a higher priority.

Do i need two computers to run the test

Yes. Iperf is a good testing program.

Reason i asked about TVs or other boxes attached on the coax network is that unless they run moca 2, they will usually slow the moca down to moca 1.1 speeds.

There are several threads in this forum that show the iperf command options to use when you get to it for testing over moca

Do i need two computers to run the test
To test LAN performance using iPerf or jPerf, yes, with one of the computers typically hard-wired to one of the router's Ethenet LAN ports (or wherever is necessary to enable testing of the targeted LAN segment, with the computers on opposite ends of the segment to be tested).

You'd just need a single computer to run an Internet speed test, as you've been doing, but that test doesn't ensure an accurate assessment of a given LAN segment's effective throughput, owing to the Internet connection, test servers or other factor being the bottleneck, rather than the segment, itself.

I'm initially interested in what you'd see for MoCA stats with the two MoCA adapters directly connected via a short coax cable; the PHY rate and power estimates should be markedly better.

very simple TEST setup ... keep the main bridging MoCA adapter connected to your router via Ethernet, but bring the other adapter to the same room and connect them directly to each other via a known good coax cable ... "IN" port to "IN" port. Then power them up, and use your PC or a laptop connected to the second adapter to test your Internet download speed, if you wish, or use a tool such as LAN Speed Test, iPerf or jPerf with two computers to test the actual effective throughput over the coax/MoCA segment.

you typically need a longer cable than what Actiontec provided in the box. There have been reports of modems providing the highest bandwidth at such a short distance. They will show sync, but will not perform up to expectation. 10 meters is a good length in my experience.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!