What's new

Inconsistent Wi-Fi signal-strength results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've just run a comparison between my ASUS RT-AX88U Pro and my ISP's FRITZ!Box 7530 AX to see how the Wi-Fi signal strength and stability compare.

The ASUS router is wall-mounted near the ceiling on the landing and my laptop, used for the test, is in the room below. I placed the FRITZ!Box on the floor, directly below the ASUS router.

As you can see by the screenshots, at the time of the test, the ASUS device was more stable on the 5G band, but very unstable on the 2.4G band, while the FRITZ!Box was a bit less stable on the 5G band but much more stable on the 2.4G band. I tried changing some setting on the RT-AX88U Pro (turning off ax and universal beamforming), but it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas as to what could cause such inconsistent results?

Attachments

• FRITZXBox 2.4G.png
    FRITZXBox 2.4G.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 24
  • ASUS 2.4G.png
    ASUS 2.4G.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 21
  • FRITZXBox 5G.png
    FRITZXBox 5G.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 19
  • ASUS 5G.png
    ASUS 5G.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 24
The cause of these inconsistencies is your testing methods.

You have to test each identically.

Below the router is the worst spot for client testing. See 'donut hole' RF patterns, as for the why.

RF signals need room to form fully/properly. Setting the router on the wall/ceiling and/or the floor (and particularly below the router above it) is skewing the results.

Are you at least powering of the router you're not testing?

Are you using identical Control Channels?

Are you using the same SSID's?

Many, many things wrong with your tests, as described above.

In empty space.

Why are the best speeds/latency from a router possible at ~10'? Because we don't live in empty space.

The cause of these inconsistencies is your testing methods.

You have to test each identically.

Below the router is the worst spot for client testing. See 'donut hole' RF patterns, as for the why.

RF signals need room to form fully/properly. Setting the router on the wall/ceiling and/or the floor (and particularly below the router above it) is skewing the results.

Are you at least powering of the router you're not testing?
The FRITZ!Box was not switched on when I tested the ASUS router. I've just done another test, but moved the laptop across to the other side of the room, so it's not in the "doughnut hole". The FRITZ!Box is still switched off. I can't turn off the ASUS router at the moment as the network is busy. Possibly the FRITZ!Box is more stable because it uses internal antennae, which I understand do not have the doughnut hole effect. Interestingly, the 5GHz band on the ASUS router doesn't seem to be affected by the router position (rock-steady signal as you saw above).

Are you using identical Control Channels?
Yes
Are you using the same SSID's?
No
Many, many things wrong with your tests, as described above.
The results of the test I mentioned above are here:
ASUS 2.4G Other side of lounge.png

Normally, internal vs. external antennae will have the same RF pattern.

Unless the RF design is such that they're going for truly omnidirectional in the first place (but that would be a much more expensive design/model).

Putting the RT-AX88U Pro in a wall/ceiling (and worse, a tri-corner) location isn't doing good for your signal propagation (as the graphs show as well). The FRITZ!Box is better because it is closer to the laptop underneath (closer to the boundary wall/floor will usually be better penetration to the other side).

The different routers may very well need different Control Channels for optimum performance.

Can you move (both) routers to more optimal positions? (i.e. at least 3' from any surface in a 3D plane and at least 10' above ground level (actual, outdoor ground).

@TheLyppardMan, when you ran the above tests, were you connected to the corresponding router+band (as indicated on the .png labels) when each one of those charts was captured? Or were you always connected to the Asus 5GHz signal, during all 4 tests?

According to my limited experience, you will usually get a flat signal like your test #4 only when you're connected to that specific signal.

@TheLyppardMan, when you ran the above tests, were you connected to the corresponding router+band (as indicated on the .png labels) when each one of those charts was captured? Or were you always connected to the Asus 5GHz signal, during all 4 tests?

According to my limited experience, you will usually get a flat signal like your test #4 only when you're connected to that specific signal.
I was connected to the respective router as shown in the png name, but I can't remember which band I was on at the time. However, I've just performed some tests on the FRITZ!Box and it seems to confirm your observations.

Attachments

• FRITZ!Box 2.4G Analysis (When connected to 5G band).png
    FRITZ!Box 2.4G Analysis (When connected to 5G band).png
    150.6 KB · Views: 16
  • FRITZ!Box 5G Analysis (When connected to 5G band).png
    FRITZ!Box 5G Analysis (When connected to 5G band).png
    125.7 KB · Views: 16
  • FRITZ!Box 5G Analysis (When connected to 2.4G band).png
    FRITZ!Box 5G Analysis (When connected to 2.4G band).png
    138.7 KB · Views: 17
  • FRITZ!Box 2.4G Analysis (When connected to 2.4G band).png
    FRITZ!Box 2.4G Analysis (When connected to 2.4G band).png
    129.2 KB · Views: 15
I was connected to the respective router as shown in the png name, but I can't remember which band I was on at the time. However, I've just performed some tests on the FRITZ!Box and it seems to confirm your observations.
I'm glad to hear it!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!