What's new

Instructions to install Johns fork

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OMNI619

Regular Contributor
Hello I need help were I can get instructions on how to install Johns fork I'm doing it at this moment but it gave me a failed to update firmware RT-N66R /U I did a factory reset on on the latest 380.79 Merlin any help please thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Hello I need help were I can get instructions on how to install Johns fork I'm doing it at this moment but it gave me a failed to update firmware RT-N66R /U I did a factory reset on on the latest 380.79 Merlin any help please thanks

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v34e3.18914/
Have a look at installation notes and use Asus restauration tool with factory reset before and after.

One more thing why does it take 30 minutes for the firmware to finish the update? I don't want to brick the router at this moment is the only one I have thanks

No I been dealing with this for hours do I have to downgrade in order to use John forks? I did a reset on Merlin 380.70 I attempted over the web GUI and asus restoration tools but I get failed to update firmware

Ok thanks for the info I'm trying out today

As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't trust Asus Tool for downgrading as they do not have a way to clear the nvram after flashing the firmware (i.e. your newly flashed firmware would have to boot once with the old nvram value).
You'd better ssh into the router, upload all necessary files, clear nvram and then write the firmware to the linux partition.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't trust Asus Tool for downgrading as they do not have a way to clear the nvram after flashing the firmware (i.e. your newly flashed firmware would have to boot once with the old nvram value).
You'd better ssh into the router, upload all necessary files, clear nvram and then write the firmware to the linux partition.

I've had little to no issues using the recommended ways to recover, upgrade or downgrade firmware by using the WebUI or the Asus Restoration Tool. Nothing that couldn't be solved by a factory reset and a power cycle. The fact that you prefer mtd-write doesn't necessarily mean it's a fool proof method for less experienced forum members.

I've had little to no issues using the recommended ways to recover, upgrade or downgrade firmware by using the WebUI or the Asus Restoration Tool. Nothing that couldn't be solved by a factory reset and a power cycle. The fact that you prefer mtd-write doesn't necessarily mean it's a fool proof method for less experienced forum members.
I think the "YMMV" statement might be true here. I recently got an issue and Asus Tool could not do anything, so I had to cracked open the router to perform a serial flash (even though what all both methods do is basically tftp transloading, right?).
And I honestly think the ssh method is not difficult (I don't consider myself as an advanced user either). However, I just suggested a method that I think that would be better for him to downgrade to john's fork per my experience. After all, if any other methods would work for him, that's still fine.

Were you got the the 374.version I can't find it anywhere

I have flashed many router before DD-WRT. MERLIN TOMATO SHIBBI this is killing me