What's new

Insufficient range/coverage for AC68, thinking of upgrading to AC88

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

libratiger

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am currently using AC68, my bedroom is getting erratic wifi connections using 2.4GHz. Would like to seek opinions as to whether upgrading to AC88 would help?

Also, if I to buy AC88, I would also need to buy a new adaptor (pce-ac88) in order to make use of the full speed?

Third, if I convert my AC68 to a repeater, the speed will be limited by AC68 right i.e. 5Ghz 1300 Mbps rather than the 2167 Mbps of the AC88 right?

Thanks in advance for the advises.

Third, if I convert my AC68 to a repeater, the speed will be limited by AC68 right i.e. 5Ghz 1300 Mbps rather than the 2167 Mbps of the AC88 right?

I'm not sure you could reach either of those speeds. Wouldn't the 1Gbps limit of typical home networking Ethernet prohibit both?

In any case, instead of a repeater use the second device as an access point. It will then enjoy whatever the Ethernet feeding it can supply.

Hi,

I am currently using AC68, my bedroom is getting erratic wifi connections using 2.4GHz. Would like to seek opinions as to whether upgrading to AC88 would help?

Also, if I to buy AC88, I would also need to buy a new adaptor (pce-ac88) in order to make use of the full speed?

Thanks in advance for the advises.

Can't beat physics...

also repeater will halve the bandwidth so it will be more like 650 Mbps and not 1300 Mbps.

I've used the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC3100 (same as RT-AC88U except for 4 vs. 8 LAN ports) in the same spot in my house. I have noticed no discernible difference in range whatsoever.

Maybe you're a candidate for the Netgear Orbi or Linksys Velop........

The RT-A68U is among the best for range regardless of the number of radios. As others have said, try repositioning, or moving the router, and if that doesn't fix it, then consider a wireless or wired repeater. A wired repeater is by far the best solution if you have the capability to run an ethernet cable to the remote location. Also, my brief experience with powerline ethernet is that it was quite slow, but the result varies greatly with house electrical system.

DITTO for me as well. Very similar wireless range/performance between the 68U and 3100 for me.

I was using AC68 with N66 as repeater and still not getting coverage I wanted (and had to reboot occasionally).

Replaced with Orbi + 1 satellite. The range and speeds are now much better with no reboots needed.

I get full speed (180 Mbps) of my internet throughout a three level house.

I ended up putting the orbi in AP mode with the AC68 (wireless disabled) as the router - but the Orbi gave great coverage in Router or AP mode. I only use AC68 as router as I prefer features (and security) of the Merlin software in the router vs Orbi router features.

I was using AC68 with N66 as repeater and still not getting coverage I wanted (and had to reboot occasionally).

Replaced with Orbi + 1 satellite. The range and speeds are now much better with no reboots needed.

I get full speed (180 Mbps) of my internet throughout a three level house.

I ended up putting the orbi in AP mode with the AC68 (wireless disabled) as the router - but the Orbi gave great coverage in Router or AP mode. I only use AC68 as router as I prefer features (and security) of the Merlin software in the router vs Orbi router features.

I read a bit about the Orbi today, and it looks to me that its a 3x3 base station talking to a 3x3 repeater, so its hard to imaging that this couldn't be easily duplicated by using an AC68 in base station mode with an AC68 in repeater mode.

I read a bit about the Orbi today, and it looks to me that its a 3x3 base station talking to a 3x3 repeater, so its hard to imaging that this couldn't be easily duplicated by using an AC68 in base station mode with an AC68 in repeater mode.

Orbi uses a dedicated 4x4 MU-MIMO radio to connect separate AC1200 class simultaneous dual-band radios in both Router and Satellite. See review here on SmallNetBuilder http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed. I am using the AC68 as my router but WiFi is disabled and the Orbi (in AP mode) is handling the WiFi throughout the house and yard. For the first time WiFi just works and I get full speed throughout the house and good connections on our 1 acre property.

I am running an Internet radio program from my iPhone and using Airplay through audio system in living room. I can walk around with theiPhone in my pocket throughout the house without issues - with old AC68 + N66 repeater it would cut out whenever I moved. DSLReports speed testing gives me full speed 180 Mpbs downlaod speed in all locations in our 3 story house.

As above Orbi router features are very basic - hence using AC68 running asuswrt merlin as the router which also may be securer....

netgear_orbi_architecture.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!