What's new

Intel/Dell X520-T2 10GBe NIC - replacement fan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frankle

New Around Here
I have an Intel X520-T2 NIC with a noisy fan. I've removed the fan, flipped it over and it is:

JARO
AD3212MB-K71

I've googled it and I get a bunch of random parts websites but no place where I can buy from.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I have an Intel X520-T2 NIC with a noisy fan. I've removed the fan, flipped it over and it is:

JARO
AD3212MB-K71

I've googled it and I get a bunch of random parts websites but no place where I can buy from.

Any ideas? Thanks!

For temporary fix, lubricate. If physical dimension and electrical specs. are same there ought to be some
on eBay or at parts store.

The Intel part number has a lifetime warranty, not sure about OEM cards - for Dell, I'd reach out to them directly - they have a pretty good parts department for consumables like this...

Do not use WD40 - and some fans lubricants are silicon based...

how about replacing with better heatsink? I have passively cooled dual SFP+ NIC which when in desktop does get really hot but in a 2U rackmount server the chassis has fans that cover airflow for the entire case so not a problem. See if you can use a better heatsink and paste.

I know datacenter stuff should have fans for the sake of cooling but its better to have more case fans rather than fans part of the product. Thats not to say that fans shouldnt be used even in routers, rather if standard fans were used it makes servicing easier and helps with product lifetime.

The cheap 2U cases i have all use standard fans. they may be noisy ball bearing fans but other not being thermally controlled their features are pretty similar to those very expensive servers.

Do not use WD40 - and some fans lubricants are silicon based...
Yep, big no-no. I researched fans and fan noise to death when I had a fan in an usb enclosure start to get noisy. It takes a few drops of 3n1 brand fan oil to keep it running perfect for 6months or so. Replacing the fan is not possible in this unit or I would have maybe done that.

used in the fan bearing D = 4mm, d = 1.5mm, B = 2mm.
example
fan x520.jpg

fan x520-2.jpg

or lubricate the bearing (removing the cap, which is not easy). I used a lubricant
WP_20170209_20_09_13_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Since you could take the bearing out, you could have just replace the bearing--and with one with removable shields so if it becomes a problem again, you can simply clean and re-lube the bearing.

Since you could take the bearing out, you could have just replace the bearing--and with one with removable shields so if it becomes a problem again, you can simply clean and re-lube the bearing.
Bearing for a replacement I did not have (to extract the bearing does not know its size), lock ring removed (about 30 minutes), grease is applied to the inside of the bearing.

I probably did not understand the meaning of the theme (read and translate with a dictionary :)), in my case, the fan began to rotate worse is that apparently led to the overheating of the X520-T2, which led to the shutdown of ports. After lubricating the fan rotates much better. problems, such as more than 2 months is not repeated

Last edited:
All bearings typically have a number noted on the side shield. Using these numbers you can purchase a replacement.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!