What's new

Intel “storage-optimized” Atom-based platform

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

occamsrazor

Regular Contributor
I saw this today:

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-atom-storage-optimized-platform-promises-faster-nas-0576806/

"Intel have pushed out its first “storage-optimized” Atom-based platform, using the latest D410 and dualcore D510 CPUs paired with the high-throughput Intel 82801IR I/O Controller. Apparently the platform has already been picked up by LaCie, LG, QNAP, Synology and Thecus for upcoming products."

Can anyone explain to me if this is significant in some way? How does this differ from the existing D410/510 models such as the QNAP TS-239 Pro II and TS-259? Thanks...

Nothing i can see. The IO isn't anything different to current North/Southbridge.
The CPU still have iGFX which is waste of power and Die Space.

It doesn't mention how many SATA / ESATA Port it has and Gigabit Ethernet Port.

The Only improvement might be the I/O Chipset is slightly faster and and more power efficient then current offering.

Otherwise i can see how this is different to Current Qnap / Synology Atom Line up.

What this could bring is more storage optimized motherboard options for the diy crowd, and through that more case offerings from big players.

According to this article the main difference is the amount of I/O options included with this chipset.

As far as I'm concerned, Intel could have released an exact copy of one of its current line with no changes and called it "NAS-ready" and I'd be fine with it. Whatever it takes to get manufacturers' attention and start building some Atom-based SOHO products.

As much as I love my little DNS-321 (the little NAS that could) it really struggles at tasks like Torrent downloads, mainly because of its processor. Not to mention the headache of dealing with Samba shares on a primarily Windows 7/Server 2008 environment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!