What's new

Interesting Cisco-Apple Best Practices for WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JGrana

Very Senior Member
I saw this mentioned in an article this morning - a paper put out by Cisco and Apple. It describes best practices for an enterprise WiFi environment. Some good points for most any WiFi environment.

Note - this articles leans heavily on Ciscos WiFi AP's. Lots of very tunable features. But, there are a few tweaks us Asus consumer router folks can do.
In fact, the most recommended change is to disable the 2.4Ghz radio! Only use 5Ghz. Works fine if all you have are 802.11 N or AC devices. ;-)

Here is the link:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/doc...s_for_Apple_Devices_on_Cisco_Wireless_LAN.pdf

My two least favorite companies. :)

But I will read it when I get the chance. Ty.

There's another thread that mentions the same Cisco doc - good stuff inside that may apply to any network design for all vendors

Let's assume Cisco has some Enterprise experience, but Apple? That's a joke my all means!
Apple choose years ago not to scan for a successor to save battery! Smart choice for home, but enterprise? Come on.

Though worth reading!

The doc is dull...why don't people share some take-away from the doc?

I only skimmed through. The WiFi Call section caught my attention. I didn't know iPhone establishes a IPsec tunnel between itself and the carrier server for transporting voice over wifi.

The other day I was wandering on street with my IPsec VPN on back to my home router. I also saw WiFi call available. I wondered it's IP in IP or iOS establishes a separate IPsec transport.

Thanks for sharing the doc.. and subsequent thoughts.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!