What's new

Internet connection drops when I plug in a desktop PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cwild1

New Around Here
My Internet connection will be working perfectly fine until I plug in my desktop running Windows 10. As soon as I plug in this PC, all devices lose Internet connection. They stay connected to the router, but no connection to the outside world...

What could be causing this?

I already made sure my desktop PC does not have a static IP. When I plug it in & run ipconfig /all, I get a self-assigned IP.

My Internet connection will be working perfectly fine until I plug in my desktop running Windows 10. As soon as I plug in this PC, all devices lose Internet connection. They stay connected to the router, but no connection to the outside world...

What could be causing this?

I already made sure my desktop PC does not have a static IP. When I plug it in & run ipconfig /all, I get a self-assigned IP.

Tried command 'ping localhost'? Tried new cable? If losing Internet connection while being connected, it could mean your desktop is hosing up the network causing hung condition. What NIC is in the desktop? Intel NIC has a diagnostic routine you can install and run.

ping localhost works perfect. Desktop is upstairs and router is downstairs. I have a cable going from router, through PVC outside to upstairs room, so it is possible cable went bad. Let me try and find a long enough cable to test. Really don't want to have to lug the whole desktop downstairs haha!

Ok, tested new cable -- same thing -- except it isn't knocking the internet connection now for all other devices. I just can't connect using the desktop

Also just tried connecting via ethernet from laptop to router & same thing - no internet & an APIPA address....

Also just tried connecting via ethernet from laptop to router & same thing - no internet & an APIPA address....
reboot the Router ?
DHCP from router or static addresses ?

When was it all working correctly ?
What happened after that ?

Do you have an IP address conflict? If all devices losing connection is there any chance your desktop has same IP as the router?