What's new

internet got very slow in my LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ahmed Goran

New Around Here
Hi friends,

This is my first post here, and sure will not be the last

I have 2 networks for 2 buildings separated

everything were ok until I added these 2 nano station access points to connect these two buildings networks together.

I connect theses two buildings in order to: - Broadcast internet from building one to building two. - Share files and others between these two buildings or networks

Problem now: - internet is too slow with non continues ping to 8.8.8.8 I am not sure if it is a looping issue or not.

Please advise

Note: attached my LAN network diagram
Dana-Network-Issue.jpg

Regards

Which building is having the slowness problem? What frequency are the Nanostations? What frequency are the TPLink AP's? Actually if you could tell the frequency, channel and channel width of each that would really help.

Answers as follows:
1- in both buildings.
2- for nano stations are 5Ghz.
3- for TPlinks APs are 2.4Ghz.
4- Nanaostations channels are on "Auto" mode
5- for internal APs each one on deferent channel (No interference)

Thanks a lot abialey

Hi friends,

This is my first post here, and sure will not be the last

I have 2 networks for 2 buildings separated

everything were ok until I added these 2 nano station access points to connect these two buildings networks together.

I connect theses two buildings in order to: - Broadcast internet from building one to building two. - Share files and others between these two buildings or networks

Problem now: - internet is too slow with non continues ping to 8.8.8.8 I am not sure if it is a looping issue or not.

Please advise

Note: attached my LAN network diagramView attachment 4005

Regards

Your diagram actually depicts one network over two buildings (one subnet across two buildings).
Have you tried giving the nano stations a channel?
Have you tried any trace routes from 1.5 to 1.1?
What is the speed of your DSL link?
Are you using Google DNS as your DNS Server?

Wow not sure what the problem is since your bridge is on a different frequency. So when you turn off the Nanostation at the main site, your internet speeds back up? How many clients do you have at each site?

Wow not sure what the problem is since your bridge is on a different frequency. So when you turn off the Nanostation at the main site, your internet speeds back up? How many clients do you have at each site?

Yes exactly when I turn of the first Nanostation the network act very normal

I have about 15 client in site 1
And about 7 in site 2

Your diagram actually depicts one network over two buildings (one subnet across two buildings).
Have you tried giving the nano stations a channel?
Have you tried any trace routes from 1.5 to 1.1?
What is the speed of your DSL link?
Are you using Google DNS as your DNS Server?

Yes one network in two locations
No not yet I will try and feed back next hours
My DSL link speed is 10Mbps
And yes Google is me DNS

Regards

Since you are using ubiquiti and point to point wireless link i would like to suggest trying out 5Ghz AC wifi using a satellite dish (focused parallel wifi signal). the more streams you have the more dishes you will need to align. 5Ghz allows many more channels to be used so you can cram more APs into the same area so it will be much easier to find a channel without interference.

The 2nd important thing you will need to look at is preventing broadcast or multicast going around the wifi. Use a DHCP server for each network if you have to and try to reduce or limit such traffic. For example if you can disable DHCP server broadcast and ipv6 advertisement that can help. you should also manually limit the traffic rate of broadcast, multicast and manycast traffic. Im not so sure if its possible in the OS ubiquiti uses but since they have similar features to mikrotik routerOS it is likely you can create a QoS or firewall rule to limit the rate of such traffic between wifi links. If this doesnt help you can also modify the packet sizes that wifi uses. Lowering the packet size to the same as ethernet may help to reduce cpu usage on the nanostations but requires some calculation since it is the data MTU that has to be the same, or if it doesnt work increasing it. Try changing the wifi settings to reduce the latency.

I suggest you divide some IPs between both networks and if you can have a router as a DNS server with cache that can help. You can also set up a cache server too but that may not be necessary. Hopefully you should be able to configure the DHCP servers on the tp-links so that the 2nd one can point to the main router as a gateway and DNS server from DHCP can be set to any router or even straight to google DNS but some routers do have DNS cache. If the router doesnt cache DNS requests than it might be better to leave the DNS server as google DNS.

If internet is slow it might be possible that there isnt sufficient wifi bandwidth that both LAN and internet traffic have to fight over the link which upgrading to 3 or 4 stream AC wifi will fix if you use a dish for point to point links to maintain the bandwidth.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!