What's new

Internet issues, log entry warnings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GK59

Regular Contributor
Hi, woke up this morning and had no internet after turning everything on, I usually power down my stuff at night when not in use. Anyhow turned it all on and had no internet, called clueless reps at Spectrum, no help as usual swearing up and down their struff was up when I knew it was down on downdetector, anyhow it seems to be back up ok so far but I'm getting this in my logs:

Code:
Jan 22 10:06:52 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_lookup:1592: inode #17432677: comm sqlite3: deleted inode referenced: 17433479
Jan 22 10:06:57 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_lookup:1592: inode #17432677: comm sqlite3: deleted inode referenced: 17433479
Jan 22 10:06:57 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_lookup:1592: inode #17432677: comm sqlite3: deleted inode referenced: 17433479

I'm logged in via SSH and from the logs it looks to be something with all of that, any help is appreciated by the more knowledgeable than I :)

Makes no sense to turn off an 'always on' appliance like a modem/router. This is worse than a reboot. A lot of stress on the parts that they are not expecting in their lifetimes.

Does a reboot help get rid of those errors though?

Makes no sense to turn off an 'always on' appliance like a modem/router. This is worse than a reboot. A lot of stress on the parts that they are not expecting in their lifetimes.

Does a reboot help get rid of those errors though?
I get that @L&LD, I've mainly done it because I'm uber anal on power usage, dopey I know. But yes things seem a bit better, I did take the time to upgrade to beta4 FW. Question, if my SWAP stuff is fubar, how do I uninstall or reset it all, if say perhaps I wanted to change drives etc. Those log entries are piling up as I put in code above, my internet is better but logs still remain as they are...

but seriously though, isn't it good to power cycle the router now and then, just maybe not every day?

Last edited:
A reboot is much different than a shutdown.

During a reboot, the components do not have time to cool/contract. Nor are they potentially exposed to power surges from the power adaptor when it's 'switched'.

A shutdown allows the components to completely come to room temperatures, possibly 'shocks' the circuits every time they are initially energized, and combined, all of this may make the device become flakey or unreliable as the soldering is compromised over time (depending on how cold it gets 'off' and how warm it is 'on') and/or the SoC itself is compromised by the mini surges it endures daily. Not to mention the extra wear on the power adaptor itself too.

In addition to the USB drive (I'm assuming it is used here too) along with the scripts are not properly 'safely ejected'/'shut down' from just a power button 'off' procedure either.

Even with the above said, even rebooting the router isn't a 'best practice' process. If it is needed, that indicates to me an issue that should be fixed on the network, not masked.

@L&LD, I respect your opinion wholeheartedly, but come on these things can't seriously be that delicate can they? My old AC86U, I shut that thing down periodically and had zero issues with it. So regarding my log entries what's going on here?

Didn't state they were delicate, just letting you know the facts. :)

How much power are you saving anyway by powering them down? :D

I really don't have time to care about logs unless they are clues to genuine issues in the router/network. If a quick search doesn't pull anything up, quick. They are quickly forgotten by me.

Didn't state they were delicate, just letting you know the facts. :)

How much power are you saving anyway by powering them down? :D

I really don't have time to care about logs unless they are clues to genuine issues in the router/network. If a quick search doesn't pull anything up, quick. They are quickly forgotten by me.
Look, regarding power, I just don't see the point on leaving devices such as routers and cable modems on all night long when not in use, hell why not leave the TV on? as far as how much is used, who the hell knows but it's the principle of the matter. So you've never seen a log entry such as I posted?? It's obvious that it's something to do with entware, SWAP etc. lol

I have seen that entry before. 51 minutes ago. :)

You turn off the TV too? :oops:

I don't turn off anything that isn't battery-powered (except for the phone, tablet, of course). I want them updated and fully ready to use when I'm awake. ;)

I have seen that entry before. 51 minutes ago. :)

You turn off the TV too? :oops:

I don't turn off anything that isn't battery-powered (except for the phone, tablet, of course). I want them updated and fully ready to use when I'm awake. ;)
omg you actually turn off your tablet? :p

boy you're on your game today I'd say, no surprise frankly...

Did I word that wrong? :)

I do not turn off the phone or tablet, but other battery-powered devices, I do. ;)

Did I word that wrong? :)

I do not turn off the phone or tablet, but other battery-powered devices, I do. ;)
lol it's all good, why do any of us do what we do, well because we can of course, simple as that.

@GK59 You should expect to see corrupted files on USB storage devices if you remove the power while there are processes active that write to that device (e.g. sqlite3). This is no different than unplugging a flash drive from your PC while writing files to it.

@GK59 You should expect to see corrupted files on USB storage devices if you remove the power while there are processes active that write to that device (e.g. sqlite3). This is no different than unplugging a flash drive from your PC while writing files to it.
Thanks @ColinTaylor for helping to clear up my log entry concern, So then, what is the procedure then to make sure that all is finished before I turn things off? I will only have a SWAP file set up for now, I'm not sure how this would be anydifferent than shutting down a PC but just the same still would like to know.

Last edited:
Safely remove the USB drive before you power it off. Via the GUI, of course.

Thanks @ColinTaylor for helping to clear up my log entry concern, So then, what is the procedure then to make sure that all is finished before I turn things off?
As stated above the only available option is to manually unmount the USB device prior to turning off the router. And then hope that the processes running on the router don't cause the unmount to hang.

I will only have a SWAP file set up for now, I'm not sure how this would be any different than shutting down a PC but just the same still would like to know.
The difference is that with a PC you "shut it down" because there's an option to do that. You don't just turn the power off at the wall. The main problem with the router is that while there is a "reboot" option there isn't a "shutdown" option because these devices were never intended to be used in this way. There were designed as "always on" appliances.

As stated above the only available option is to manually unmount the USB device prior to turning off the router. And then hope that the processes running on the router don't cause the unmount to hang.

The difference is that with a PC you "shut it down" because there's an option to do that. You don't just turn the power off at the wall. The main problem with the router is that while there is a "reboot" option there isn't a "shutdown" option because these devices were never intended to be used in this way. There were designed as "always on" appliances.
I understand that but previously I never used a USB drive for such a purpose aside from just storage until just recently. Previously, I had a AC86U along with a WD MyPassport for storage only and again it's plugged into my strip with my other gear and at night I would first shut down the PC then once that's complete turn off the strip, never had any issues with the router. My issue today is due to not unmounting the drive with all opf the entware etc. stuff running.

@ColinTaylor,

I do have the Asus Router app on my phone, I'm curious is "Eject USB" the equivalent to unmounting it on the PC? I've gone back to just using the drive as storage for now, I really don't need any extra functionality, SWAP etc. I just didn't notice any advantage of having one over not having one.

Last edited:
I've never used the app but I guess it is the same as using the eject option at the top right of the web interface (which is the same as "Safely Remove disk:").

Untitled.png