What's new

Invalid Firmware Upload RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DogT

Occasional Visitor
Downloaded RT-N66U_3.0,0.4_376.49z-5.zip extracted to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 and got three files in there with a .trx file that I assume is what I try to use as the new upload. Go to Admin/Firmware Upgrade and select that .trx file to use for the upgrade and I get this message.

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

What am I doing wrong? I got this N66U from ebay last Feb 17 and want to use it now to monitor all my devices for data usage since I'm using satellite ISP and need to keep track of which device is using what data or I go over my usage for the month.

He answered his own question in post #2.
apologies for sounding thick, but don't understand. I'm having same problem for my 88U, download latest zip file, unzip it and get a .trx file which assume is used for the flash...... however when I select it and push upload (like I do any official asus firmware) it comes up with same error of "invalid firmware upload".

The only difference I can between these and official asus firmware is asus ones are a .w file as apposed to these ones which are ,trx...... I've tried renaming it to a .w file and still doesn't work.

Every bit of guidance you read continues to just say flash it like you do any other official firmware.... well that's what i'm trying and it isn't working lol.

apologies for sounding thick, but don't understand. I'm having same problem for my 88U, download latest zip file, unzip it and get a .trx file which assume is used for the flash...... however when I select it and push upload (like I do any official asus firmware) it comes up with same error of "invalid firmware upload".

The only difference I can between these and official asus firmware is asus ones are a .w file as apposed to these ones which are ,trx...... I've tried renaming it to a .w file and still doesn't work.

Every bit of guidance you read continues to just say flash it like you do any other official firmware.... well that's what i'm trying and it isn't working lol.
Please post full filename of firmware you are flashing

The OP's problem was that he had sorted the list of firmwares backwards. So he was trying to flash the oldest firmware instead of the newest. Asus routers won't let you flash a firmware that is older than a certain point, which is what the error message means. Once he realised that and downloaded the newest firmware he didn't have a problem.

the zip file downloaded is
RT-AC88U_382.1_2,zip

after which unzipping gives the main file of
RT-AC88U_382.1_2.trx

:confused::confused::confused: The Asus firmware ends with .trx not .w Are you sure you've got the right router.

i'll reply in general rather than both separately... the file that comes with asus file which works fine is

DSL-AC88U_v1.10.04_build460.w and is shown as a w file in "type"

as mentioned, file that comes with merlin is .trx.....

I'm uploading via wired laptop connected to router...I've uploased firmware, gone back etc a few times already with the official asus files and have no problem.....

Right, I see. thanks for help. apologies for that. right ok, so there is no software I can load on here (DSL model!) to allow me selective devices to go through my vpn, rather than everything going through it??

Right, I see. thanks for help. apologies for that. right ok, so there is no software I can load on here (DSL model!) to allow me selective devices to go through my vpn, rather than everything going through it??
Not that I know of. You could get an RT-AC88U and use with a DSL modem set to bridge mode, and then you could benefit from Merlin on the RT.