What's new

Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DVD rip techniques

What did you use for ripping your DVD collection?

Re: DVD ripping

What did you use for ripping your DVD collection?

Typically I use Handbrake for doing the rip/encode, but when I'm just doing a rip of my DVDs - i.e. just removing the DVD encryption and copying the result, I use MacTheRipper. MacTheRipper is Mac only, but there are similar utilities for Linux and Windows users. Handbrake is multi-platform.

Jim

DVD rip to what format? Really you just copy the VOB files over and rename them to MPG on HDD. Then you can play them back on to any network media player. This one is something portable to take along with you when you travel I do that with Hauppauge MediaMVP and Windows MCE 2005 SP2 Laptop. Of course this device you reviewed doesn't have LAN or wireless LAN. Strickly to use with other media through USB. NAS network drive with USB output could be then use with this device on the network to update the media also. Still price is only $90 bucks with free shipping I found.

Tim how's the sound true Digital 5.1 or 2.1?

DVD rip to what format? Really you just copy the VOB files over and rename them to MPG on HDD. Then you can play them back on to any network media player. This one is something portable to take along with you when you travel I do that with Hauppauge MediaMVP and Windows MCE 2005 SP2 Laptop. Of course this device you reviewed doesn't have LAN or wireless LAN. Strickly to use with other media through USB. NAS network drive with USB output could be then use with this device on the network to update the media also. Still price is only $90 bucks with free shipping I found.

Tim how's the sound true Digital 5.1 or 2.1?

I typically RIP to H.264 but that won't work with this unit. Some players do play back renamed VOB files, but then you don't get the DVD type menu navigation, scene selection, series selection on a disk with multiple episodes, etc. As far as sound, Iomega advertises 5.1, but I couldn't test it since I can't take audio in via HDMI.

If I go from DCT 6416 Phase III DVR to DVD Recorder onto DVDRW, then take that DVDRW disc and stick it into a PC with DVDRW DL recorder. I can then open the Video_TS and transfer the VOB to the PC then rename the VOB to bla.mpg. Now I can now stick that bla.mpg into a server folder and then watch it on Hauppauge Media MVP onto any 16x9 or 4x3 set under S-Video (480i). I take the HD content at 1080i downgrade to 480i still comes out sharp but would be nice to use this device you tested. But if you can't get HDMI to playback digital audio at 5.1 then I won't get it.

I've tried H.264 MP4 already got one video cam that can take MP4 AVI saves a lot of space that way. Then all I have to do it drop it into AVI folder and use DivX Pro codec to place it back on the Media MVP. MVP doesn't have DivX hardware for playback so you have to use something better then FFMPEG. I wonder if the IOMEGA uses hardware AVI which I guess it does right?

ripped dvd layback isnt't working

For less than $100, this tiny device does a great job at ripped DVD playback. [Article link]

Because of the review I bought the tv link and.... I cant get NONE of the ripped (or downloaded) dvd's to play. In the review I saw some problems to but at least it worked at the end but in my case is does NOT!.

(and, as stated in the review, I pressed stop during automatic play, selected the video_ts and.....Nothing.

Try the Midte MDT-PM318S gone up to $44.99 on the net but still you can add up to 750GB HDD, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS formats use IDE, Ultra, PATA, SATA/300.

specs
Humanized function menu design principle.
Support 3.5" SATA HDD up to 750GB.
Movies, musics and images portable multimedia.
Hanging style hard disk shockproof structure.
High speed USB 2.0 port for media file transfer to/from PC.
Support multi-kinds of video, Audio output.

They have other models but don't know if you can purchased them in the USA. This would be great for DVD collection as you could rip and put them on HDD and playback on this device Less than this Iomega.

RE: ripped dvd layback isn't working

Because of the review I bought the tv link and.... I cant get NONE of the ripped (or downloaded) dvd's to play. In the review I saw some problems to but at least it worked at the end but in my case is does NOT!.

(and, as stated in the review, I pressed stop during automatic play, selected the video_ts and.....Nothing.

Sorry it isn't working for you. For my tests, I tried a couple of different DVDs, both ripped with "Mac The Ripper", and both had no encryption. The first one initially gave me crashes, but then started to play normally. The second one I tested with never gave me any trouble. You might try renaming one of your VOB files, giving it a mpg extension to see if the device can handle it.

Some of these can be played with VOB without renaming depends on what you have ripped.

I love the TV Link but....

I have more than one 1TB box (I've quite a few DVDs ripped!) and I was wondering if I could add them all via a USB hub. This bombed out; each box could be read individually, but when I used (several) USB hubs, I got he NO DEVICE message on the screen.

Any ideads, anyone?

Try the Midte MDT-PM318S gone up to $44.99 on the net but still you can add up to 750GB HDD, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS formats use IDE, Ultra, PATA, SATA/300.

specs
Humanized function menu design principle.
Support 3.5" SATA HDD up to 750GB.
Movies, musics and images portable multimedia.
Hanging style hard disk shockproof structure.
High speed USB 2.0 port for media file transfer to/from PC.
Support multi-kinds of video, Audio output.

They have other models but don't know if you can purchased them in the USA. This would be great for DVD collection as you could rip and put them on HDD and playback on this device Less than this Iomega.

I just bought one of these here. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MDT-PM318S&cat=CON&cpc=APM So far it works great for .avi files. I tried one h.264, but it locks up the unit and states some error in french. I just power it down and it works again. Computer Geeks is located down by San Diego and since I'm in SoCal I got it in a day or so. I used them twice and both times got good service.

I forgot to add that I google'd computer geeks coupon and found a code for a 10% off coupon that worked. I don't remember the code, but I only looked at a few sites before finding one that worked.

I forgot to add that I google'd computer geeks coupon and found a code for a 10% off coupon that worked. I don't remember the code, but I only looked at a few sites before finding one that worked.

So you got it to work, they seem to be sold out on Geeks.com I did find another that does a bit more. The one I wanted has wireless and wired connections but that cost $259 bucks.

Enjoy..

Subtitles

I have a lot of foreign movies. Does this Iomega equipment support SRT or SUB files?

playing video_ts

All of my home movies are in video_ts format. Can the iomega screen player that this format? I think that is vob's are, but I am unsure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!