What's new

iOS 9.3 problem - Intermittant not connecting to router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Broken Hope

Regular Contributor
I'm not sure if this is a 9.3 issue or a problem with Asus firmware but it's started fairly recently.

If I disable and enable the wireless on my iPhone or new iPad the device will sometimes not automatically connect to the wireless network, if I manually click on the wireless network it will ask for the password, if I put in the correct wireless password instead of connecting or stating incorrect password it will just ask for the password again.

Is there some log notification level or something that will tell me if the router is rejecting the connection or something?

I've tried updating to iOS 9.3.2 beta to see if the problem is fixed in that and it's not.

I'm not sure if this is a 9.3 issue or a problem with Asus firmware but it's started fairly recently.

If I disable and enable the wireless on my iPhone or new iPad the device will sometimes not automatically connect to the wireless network, if I manually click on the wireless network it will ask for the password, if I put in the correct wireless password instead of connecting or stating incorrect password it will just ask for the password again.

Is there some log notification level or something that will tell me if the router is rejecting the connection or something?

I've tried updating to iOS 9.3.2 beta to see if the problem is fixed in that and it's not.

Based on my own experience, Apple devices do not play well with Beamforming, try disabling it on Wireless --> Professional, do it for all bands and for AC and Universal. What Firmware are you using? I had similar issues with the latest Merlin FW and I had to switch to the latest Beta from Asus, is very stable with iDevices and having Beamforming disabled.

I've not had a single problem with Beamforming enabled in the past, I'm using the latest Merlin FW, I'm considering trying the latest Asus beta just to see if there's any difference.

I've not had a single problem with Beamforming enabled in the past, I'm using the latest Merlin FW, I'm considering trying the latest Asus beta just to see if there's any difference.

I think the issue might have been introduced or aggravated in iOS 9.3, I might be wrong though

I know Apple's own routers support Beamforming so I'd be shocked if their phones and tablets had issues with it.

Also, Merlin mentioned that his latest build is using old Wireless drivers, he was the one who suggested to use the latest Beta from Asus

I know Apple's own routers support Beamforming so I'd be shocked if their phones and tablets had issues with it.

Agree, nonetheless from a practical perspective, as soon as I will enable Beamforming on mine, the issues with disconnections and asking for password will start right away, with them disabled I haven't had a single issue in almost a week. What router do you have? I have the RT-AC5300

I have the AC68U, but looking back at your thread the symptoms are the same, wireless network asking for password and not accepting it and then eventually automatically connecting to the network by itself.

I was on all the 9.3 beta releases with no issues, I thought maybe it was the final release that broke things so tried out the 9.3.2 beta but it's still the same.

I have the AC68U, but looking back at your thread the symptoms are the same, wireless network asking for password and not accepting it and then eventually automatically connecting to the network by itself.

I was on all the 9.3 beta releases with no issues, I thought maybe it was the final release that broke things so tried out the 9.3.2 beta but it's still the same.

I am also on 9.3.2, maybe is the way how Asus implement Beamforming the issue

My iPhone 6 and the iPad Pro are both on iOS 9.3.2 beta 1.
Beamforming is on, have never had a single problem.

The problem doesn't always happen, you can generally make the problem appear if you disable and enable the wifi over and over on an iOS device, after a doing that for a short while the device doesn't automatically connect to the saved network and if you tap on the network for it to connect it asks for the password.

What Router model do you have and what FW are you using?
It's all in my signature ;)
I am switching wlan off and on several times a day on the iPad, out of habit and it always connects within seconds.

I just updated to the latest beta for the AC68U and toggled the wifi switch on my iphone over and over until I got bored, it connected every single time without prompting me for the password.

Using Merlin 380.59 but I have tried them all stock and Merlin on my 3100 and have zero issues with iPad or iPhones.

I just updated to the latest beta for the AC68U and toggled the wifi switch on my iphone over and over until I got bored, it connected every single time without prompting me for the password.
Well @Broken Hope, there's always hope.

Based on my own experience, Apple devices do not play well with Beamforming, try disabling it on Wireless --> Professional, do it for all bands and for AC and Universal. What Firmware are you using? I had similar issues with the latest Merlin FW and I had to switch to the latest Beta from Asus, is very stable with iDevices and having Beamforming disabled.

I disabled Roaming assistant; I couldn't find Beamforming in the Professional settings on my AC66U running 380.58. I'll find out if my in-law's iPad still has the same issue as the OP.

I disabled Roaming assistant; I couldn't find Beamforming in the Professional settings on my AC66U running 380.58. I'll find out if my in-law's iPad still has the same issue as the OP.

Roaming assistant is the wrong thing to change. You should see two Beamforming settings under 5.0ghz for sure, and possibly under 2.4ghz also.

Roaming assistant is the wrong thing to change. You should see two Beamforming settings under 5.0ghz for sure, and possibly under 2.4ghz also.
I don't see it...
Wireless - Professional
line_export.png

Wireless Professional Setting allows you to set up additional parameters for wireless. But default values are recommended.
Band
Enable Radio
Yes No
Enable wireless scheduler Yes No
Set AP Isolated Yes No
Roaming assistant
Enable IGMP Snooping
Multicast Rate(Mbps)
Fragmentation Threshold
AMPDU RTS
RTS Threshold
DTIM Interval
Beacon Interval
Enable TX Bursting
Enable WMM
Enable WMM No-Acknowledgement
Enable WMM APSD
Optimize AMPDU aggregation
Optimize ack suppression
Tx power adjustment

%

I couldn't find Beamforming in the Professional settings on my AC66U running 380.58.
Stop looking....the AC66U doesn't support changing beamforming (the option was there for a while in early code, but was then removed).