What's new

IP conflict?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdrunbike

New Around Here
I have an unknown IP address showing up when I scan my home network: 192.168.1.0. When I ping this address, both Foscam IP cameras that connect to the network wirelessly reply and I get duplicate responses to the ping.

I have been having sporadic, unexplained and difficult to troubleshoot (for me, at least) issues on my network lately, too, more often with devices connected via network cable (wireless seems to be ok).

I have a Huawei 4G modem/router providing WiFi and acting as the DHCP server and TP-Link gigabit switches connected the physical network.

Devices on wifi: TV, iPhone, Blackberry, MacBook, iMac, 2xFoscam IP cameras
Wired network: Modem/router to switches, HP Laserjet, Epson Inkjet, Synology NAS, IP camera, IO Bridge, HDHomeRun, Airport Express (very old generation)

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

Power down all network devices, pulling the AC power where possible for at least 10 minutes or more (30 to 60 minutes may be needed for some devices to fully 'de-power').

Plug in the modem and wait 5 minutes (for it to fully boot).

Plug in the router and wait 5 minutes (for it to fully boot and stabilize).

Plug in any switches you may be using.

Plug in and turn on all your wired devices.

Plug in and turn on all your wireless devices.

If the above solves your issue, you may want to reserve IP addresses for most important (and permanent) clients in the router's gui.

Power down all network devices, pulling the AC power where possible for at least 10 minutes or more (30 to 60 minutes may be needed for some devices to fully 'de-power').

Plug in the modem and wait 5 minutes (for it to fully boot).

Plug in the router and wait 5 minutes (for it to fully boot and stabilize).

Plug in any switches you may be using.

Plug in and turn on all your wired devices.

Plug in and turn on all your wireless devices.

If the above solves your issue, you may want to reserve IP addresses for most important (and permanent) clients in the router's gui.
All my wireless cameras(indoor and outdoor) has fixed ip address, as well as two wireless printers and NAS which are on 24/7 I gave a fixed address when I set up those using set up wizard.

If the cameras are the problem, I would try setting those as static AND place a DHCP reservation just in case they lose their config.

how are the switches connected to the router?

If you disable wireless, does your ethernet network work properly?

Are the static IPs you are assigning in the router's subnet and outside the range of the IPs the router is assigning?

You may want to experiment with the second part of my suggestion to see if you can fix your problem.

The issue could be that if you are setting an IP on the device directly it could be duplicated on another device when your router assigns the same IP to another device.

Some people will advise you to assign static IPs from the pool of IPs that you have set the router up to assign, but in your case you have a problem so something needs to be changed.

On my network I assign IPs to all devices that regularly connect and none of them are from the IP pool on my router. This works well for me.

192.168.1.0 is not a valid IP. The first IP of the subnet is reserved, and is usually used to indicate the network's ID.

Just like 192.168.1.255 is not a valid IP - it's the subnet's broadcast address.

What subnet are you using for your network? 192.168.1.0 is not a specific ip address, but a subnet, for ip addresses starting at 192.168.1.1 to whatever your subnet mask is. Example; With a /24 subnet, it would be from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. Does the 192.168.1.0 subnet correspond to your network?

With IP conflicts the cheater way to do things if you know where one device has the address is to power down that device and then do arp and other ping tests to run down what/where the other device might be. Often times you will find an improperly configured device with a static IP as being at fault. Static IPs are a very, very bad idea in growing networks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!