What's new

iPhone Wireless stops responding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dpeterson

Occasional Visitor
Sorry for a new thread but I know I saw some posts about apple devices and can't relocate them. Ever since moving to the AC-87 our iPhones connected to the 5ghz channel will stop working. If you shut off the wireless on the phone and back on it starts working again. The 2 iPhone 6's do it the most and I'm not sure my daughter (iPhone 5) has mentioned it happening.

I haven't changed anything on the wireless settings.

That's happened to me occasionally on my routers here as well. Usually rebooting the iPhone (press "home" and "power" at the same time until the apple appears, then release) will take care of that. Doesn't happen very often to me, but I don't think that there's anything that we can do on the router end...for me, all my other clients are working when this happens. Chalk that one up to Apple's fine expertise with wifi *smile*.

Don't know why this is happening on the RT-AC87U if it didn't happen to you previously, but that's life in the Apple lane. There may be something that Asus can do in the firmware, so you might try reporting it to Asus.

You may want to experiment with 802.11h enabled on 5GHz band. (on 2.4GHz enable 802.11d if problematic with Apple devices)
Also, try "Forget This Network" on your Iphones and recreate the connection again with SSID and Pass again.
If necessary try changing to a different name for your SSID.

You may want to experiment with 802.11h enabled on 5GHz band. (on 2.4GHz enable 802.11d if problematic with Apple devices)
Also, try "Forget This Network" on your Iphones and recreate the connection again with SSID and Pass again.
If necessary try changing to a different name for your SSID.

Roger - your correct. Everything else is fine when it happens. One thing I haven't tried is if I can get to the router from the phone when it happens. Or ping the router to see if it's just getting out to the internet.

greggy101 I will try the h. I have it off right now. Someone else mentioned that it actually caused problems for them so I haven't tried to turn it on.

Instead of power cycle just a quick airplane mode or wifi on and off toggle gets it going again. Just annoying.

Sorry for a new thread but I know I saw some posts about apple devices and can't relocate them. Ever since moving to the AC-87 our iPhones connected to the 5ghz channel will stop working. If you shut off the wireless on the phone and back on it starts working again. The 2 iPhone 6's do it the most and I'm not sure my daughter (iPhone 5) has mentioned it happening.

I haven't changed anything on the wireless settings.

I'm also having the same issues as you on my iPhone 6 Plus & iPad Air.

Turning off all the 4 Beamforming settings and set key rotation interval from 3600 to 0 helps solved the disconnections problem.

Last edited:
Turning off all the 4 Beamforming settings and set key rotation interval from 3600 to 0 helps solved the disconnections problem.
I've tried that and I haven't seen any single drop on 5 Ghz Wifi AC both on iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 in sleep mode. Not 100% confident, but I'll see how it goes and update this thread.

Updating my RT-AC87U with Merlins 378.52 seems to solved my connections problems with my iPhone 6 :)