What's new

IPV6 firewalls and beyond, commonsense solid security pointers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PrivateJoker

Very Senior Member
I'm posting this here because a good question on IPV6 firewalls was raised in another thread, but my response was not totally on topic, but I'm glad to brainstorm things I do in general re online security and bounce my ideas off of yours, etc.

This is by no means intended to be a definitive guide, far from it, I'm just mentioning some practical everyday things I do, and am curious what others do. It's very easy to get tunnel vision and focus too much on obscure things while overlooking others.

Here's the original post I was replying to, quoted.

I know what you mean, but who wants to deliberately play the percentages? IPv6 is a little different than IPv4 in terms of more exposure on the internet despite being connected to a router. I, for one, don't want to be the first guy on my block whose system was taken over because of not paying attention to the obvious ease of exploits. Besides, part of being geeky (and sleeping at night) is to have complete IPv6 (actually it's a dual stack, as you know) networking set up including a firewall. So it goes.

Agreed in both spirit and specifically. . .heck I keep a window breaker, seat belt cutter, and fire extinguisher in all my cars (among other rarely used tools), just in case.

A couple random things that come to mind beyond just IPV6 port scanners would be that it's probably a good practice to

- go into individual PCs and check the firewall exceptions you have allowed in the past, remove anything you don't need or is questionable. . .if it's a bonafide exception it will get around to asking you for it again

- turn off UPnP if you're not using it

- on this page http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_System_Content.asp disable any service related to remote access/router admin that you don't need

- if you use a DDNS service be careful what ports are opened from the outside and the passwords and user name an outsider would would have to use to try to login (when my NAS's admin name was "admin" and I used no-ip.org I got dozens of bad login attempts from overseas daily)

- completely gut every install of java your computer has and re-install the latest version from scratch. Most java exploits tend to be "zero day" and documented publicly, so when it gives an indication you need to update, you should.

- go through your PC's network sharing options and only enable the intra-LAN sharing (or public facing) resources you need (ie turn off file sharing and VNCs unless you need them)

- strong router login PW, strong WiFi pw, strong utility to keep track of all your p/ws such as Roboform, lastpass, 1password, etc - to sync, store, and retrieve all your strong PWs when you need them. There are really good articles out there that show how intercepting of WPA2 packets and then running rainbow tables/dictionary attacks that it can be broken, however I'm yet to see that actually happen with a high entropy 20+ character long p/w that has absolutely no dictionary words in it and tons of caps and lowercase and numbers & symbols.

- make sure your PCs & laptops actually logout after a reasonable idle time and force password login

- disable guest accounts on your PCs & NASes

- change admin username to something other than admin on your routers, NAS, bridges, etc.

- Use different admin login names for all the devices above, and for all your usernames across websites

- Don't identify your network SSID or your computer's friendly name with stuff that involves your actual full real name and/or location.

- use fake answers for the security questions on: mother's maiden name, street you grew up on etc, those are such low entropy and if you give the same real answer to your bank, what's to stop them from resetting your email p/w using the same info? I give different, false answers to all of these and just record them in an encrypted p/w storage program.

While it doesn't look like IPv6 will be in this country soon - they've been "preparing for it" and some ISPs have had it in beta for years - you've mentioned a lot of other useful things, thanks.

One concrete thing I finally did after reading your post was start using a "password locker". I'm using KeePassX on my Ubuntu system, I suppose if I wanted better cross-platform compatibility I'd use KeePass2 (but I don't). This way I've taken all the piddly little text files I've made (with cryptic names as a dumb security measure :rolleyes:) that record all the passwords I keep forgetting and put it their contents in KeePassX.

A policy of sorts that I've implemented - every site that asks for a new password after a time, every site whose passwords get compromised (that's happened twice to me now) and every site where I've forgotten the password and had to reset it gets a new completely random password generated by KeePassX and kept there.

A policy of sorts that I've implemented - every site that asks for a new password after a time, every site whose passwords get compromised (that's happened twice to me now) and every site where I've forgotten the password and had to reset it gets a new completely random password generated by KeePassX and kept there.

It's amazing how just that step alone probably makes you more secure than over 90% of all other people.

The story of Mat Honan, a tech writer at Wired, and the targeted, mostly social/design flaw hack he personally encountered last year is a fascinating one to learn from. He was sort of "made an example of," being a tech writer and had a very savvy multi-pronged spear fishing attack foisted against him that most of us will never encounter based on us being relatively low value targets. Nevertheless it exposed a lot of weakness in the interdependencies of p/w reset and the non-trivial consequences that can occur when you have a unified/consistent user ID & login credentials across websites, among other things.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/09/158477219/hacker-s-wreak-havoc-on-wired-writer-s-digital-life

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/mat-honan-data-recovery/

Side note - I just saw this for the first time today (pardon me if it's old news and you've already been made aware of it!) but when I did a Java update on my Win machine it asked me if I wanted to run the old Java version uninstaller & clean up utility. Heck ya! I had one old (6.x) version of Java that it cleaned out. Cleaning out old versions is important because new exploits are only addressed in the current version, leaving you open to exploits on Java you don't use and might not even know you have, but are ripe for the picking when exploits are often reverse engineered from analyzing the patches that fix them, to even wider abuse than the initial patch fixed.

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/uninstaller_toolinfo.xml

Yes, I've noticed on Windows machines that different Java versions can happily coexist with each other without letting you know they're there.

Most of my machines run Linux so they use OpenJDK - the package management shouldn't allow old versions to remain in those installations, but I have seen this happen with other packages (perl, for example).