What's new

IPv6 - Interesting perspective for a small network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know what this person's problem is but I've been using ULAs for some time now without issues. IPv6 is a departure from what we got used to for more than 2 decades now and that will require us to change the way we do things. DHCPv6 with prefix delegation is the standard way for the ISP to give you an IPv6 prefix, and yes, it is dynamic like IPv4 is dynamic. Anyone wanting a static prefix they will get charged extra, just like they charge extra for a static IPv4.

A complete internal configuration with ULAs is very well possible, ULAs are not normally routable on the internet anyway and an internal DNS server can listen and be advertised on a ULA address as well. I do not think ULAs will be removed from the RFCs so easily, there will always be a need for local networking isolated from the internet.