What's new

IPv6 Not working AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alvesd

New Around Here
I have seen several post of others with the same problem, but no fix.

Problem: Cannot get IPv6 address
Provider: Comcast with Comcast Modem & with Netgear c600
Router: AC5300
Firmware: Merlin 380_62. Same with beta and previous verson. Also with earlier Asus firmware

Is anyone else having this problem or are aware of a work around.

The brute force SSH protection on/off made no difference with either firmware.

Regards.

You can check Tools => Other Settings => Firewall: Drop IPv6 neighbour solicitation broadcasts (Comcast fix) (default: No)

Not sure if that has any effect on your issues.

Unfortunately IPv6 is broke in the new builds having the same issues here on my 3100 with both Merlin and stock using Comcast native.

Kinda of surprised Merlin won't even respond on the issue more then likely he thinks it's just a user problem rather then a firmware problem. It most definitely is a firmware problem.

Only three things you can do at this point use older firmware that works,disable IPv6 and wait for a fix or buy a router from someone other then Asus. It's late 2016 and it's a fracking joke that Asus has broke this feature,still can't get v6 right almost like its rocket science. Unacceptable.

Have you thinked that IPV6 is differently implemented on each ISP? IPV6 on ASUS FW works fine for most of the people, but not with Comcast ISP...

PS: You don't need to send F bombs even I can understand you're being upset with the situation.

F bombs who cares. You don't need to secretly distribute illegal code but you do it. So don't preach to me about F Bombs.

I guess you don't...

Have you thinked that IPV6 is differently implemented on each ISP? IPV6 on ASUS FW works fine for most of the people, but not with Comcast ISP...

But back on topic, I was expecting an answer on it instead, so I guess you don't really care also about the topic you have bring up / complained about.

You better call Comcast then and report your IPV6 problems to them, I bet they will give you all the support you need.

PS: You can secretly send F bombs whenever you want, no problem at all, but not on a public forum. :)

Last edited:
All BS aside Gomes. We all know it's a Asus issue not Comcast. So reporting to Comcast is a waste of time. V6 works perfect in older builds and with John's fork. You got any ideas ?

Yes, the idea I have is that IPV6 works fine in my country 3 ISPs (380.59, 380.62), so if you say it's the firmware it must be some kind of magic.

The code changes on latest FWs can have an impact on your ISP but not on others, like I previously said, it works fine in here on 3 different ISPs.

Last edited:
All is can say is what I see and it's broke for me and others why I have no clue. I'm no newbie to this stuff so it's not anything I'm doing as far as settings. Not sure why it works for some and not others but I can say v6 has been a roller coaster since its implementation some time ago always one thing or another. Probably why it has not taken off as expected and replaced v4.

In one word: IPV6

All BS aside Gomes. We all know it's a Asus issue not Comcast. So reporting to Comcast is a waste of time. V6 works perfect in older builds and with John's fork. You got any ideas ?

Actually - it is a Comcast issue with how they have deployed IPV6...

CoxHSI has the same damn issue....

If that's the case then why does older code work fine and Johns fork also works fine ? What has changed ?

CoxHSI has the same damn issue....
I'm on Cox also and fired up 380.62-beta1 to see if I could see a problem and maybe help out with debug (Merlin doesn't have a native IPv6 connection AFAIK). IPv6 came up with no problems. :confused:

I'm on Cox also and fired up 380.62-beta1 to see if I could see a problem and maybe help out with debug (Merlin doesn't have a native IPv6 connection AFAIK). IPv6 came up with no problems. :confused:

I know - but let the lease renew, and you might see the problem... they basically forget the client side until the interface is refreshed...

Just a SWAG.....but those of you on Comcast having problems, try setting the prefix length to '60' instead of '64'

Kinda of surprised Merlin won't even respond on the issue more then likely he thinks it's just a user problem rather then a firmware problem. It most definitely is a firmware problem.

Because I'm constantly repeating the exact same answer:

1) IPv6 is half broken with a lot of ISPs
2) My ISP doesn't offer IPv6, so I can't test or debug it

For every Comcast user that reports IPv6 failing, there's another user that reports IPv6 working flawlessly for him. Comcast has been known to have a broken IPv6 deployment (such as flooding nodes with neighbour request traffic), and their implementation seems to behave different from one node to another.

@Merlin. Fair enough I understand Comcasts IPv6 may not be perfect but that don't explain why older firmware works flawlessly and the newer code takes constant reboots over and over just to obtain a v6 address. Have you seen any change in Asus code in the last few month regarding IPv6 ? Example like from 380.858 to recent code. Something has to have changed.

Because I'm constantly repeating the exact same answer:

1) IPv6 is half broken with a lot of ISPs
2) My ISP doesn't offer IPv6, so I can't test or debug it

For every Comcast user that reports IPv6 failing, there's another user that reports IPv6 working flawlessly for him. Comcast has been known to have a broken IPv6 deployment (such as flooding nodes with neighbour request traffic), and their implementation seems to behave different from one node to another.
I have the ac68u and ac5300 with both running 380.63_2 firmware on comcast internet. The 68u has no problem getting an ipv6 right away in NATIVE but the ac5300 doesn't i just recently tried the 68u to see if it would solve some disconnection issues i was having with new pixel phones well not only did this fix that i get ipv6 the way it should work. I am sure it has to do with the firmware in the later models or at least in some of the later models because it did work for me on the 5300 when I first purchased a year ago but not great finicky at times but so was the 68u at that time but now the 68u definitely works the way it should .....UPDATE I just used the rescue tool to downgrade using asus stock firmware and the last working version that ipv6 works on is Beta Version 9.0.0.4.380.2697 or version 3.0.0.4.380.1355 stable update before the BETA...Once Version 3.0.0.4.380.3341 is installed ipv6 does NOT work ASUS broke something here and Version 3.0.0.4.380.3941 doesn't resolve it it so hopefully they fix it soon .
UPDATE 12/21/2016 I can confirm "service restart_dhcp6c" via ssh does get me an ipv6 on the 5300 and this is where the problem is "with dhcp6 starting up" how can we fix this in merlins next fw release? or maybe add a toggle with this to force start for those having issues.. >>>>>12/30/2016 the latest apha firmware 65 alpha3 no longer obtains an IPV6 after manually restarting dhcp6c if i downgrade to 65 alpha2 It still gets an IPV6 if I manually restart dhcp6c. I also want to add I cannot disable my 2.4ghz band since I dont have any 2.4 devices connected I would like it off well turning it off breaks internet connection.. This router is really all messed up so I need to keep on 2.4 or after reboots it fails to connect to internet period IPV4 or IPV6 and super long reboots...this is only on the rt ac5300 that i know of. Maybe others with the same router can verify if theirs is doing it also.

Last edited:
@Merlin. Fair enough I understand Comcasts IPv6 may not be perfect but that don't explain why older firmware works flawlessly and the newer code takes constant reboots over and over just to obtain a v6 address. Have you seen any change in Asus code in the last few month regarding IPv6 ? Example like from 380.858 to recent code. Something has to have changed.
Add me to the list with the latest merlin FW, RT3100, and IPv6 not working. Comcast Xfinity user in Chicago

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!