What's new

IPv6 Pass through doesn't work when nat hardware acceleration turns on [AC68U]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timeregained

New Around Here
With asuswrt-merlin.ng version 384.10_2:

If the nat hardware acceleration turns on and IPv6 is set to Passthough, the system log was flood with :"kernel: osl_pktfastfree: free skb for NULL ctfpool". Network devices could get its own ipv4 & ipv6 address but cannot access to internet.

However, IPv6 passthrough works well when the nat hardware acceleration is set to off.

I have tested and verified this would happen on all version of merlin-ng till very lastest 384.10_2.

I have searched this topic and find a samilar case as https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac66u-ipv6-dmz.38060/ , but it seems ending to using NAT acceleration is set to off - IPv6 passthrough.

Would someone please help to give some advices on this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,
I know this post is really old, but i have the same issue with my AC68U. I need Passthrough to be able to use IP V6. But if i enable it with accelerations "CTF+FA", i have a strange behavior, instabilities and lots of problems. Without Passthrough, with "CTF+FA", no problems at all.
And if i disable "FA" acceleration only, it seems ok, stable, but i hit 100% on CPU and cannot use full ISP bandwith (1Gb/s)

Does anybody else (except timeregained in 2019) encounter this issue with this model ? And perhaps more important : is AC68U the only model impacted ?

Thanks !

Is this an original RT-AC68U? What firmware are you using?

I'd imagine the issue to have been resolved by now.

Take a backup of your settings and the firmware you're currently using, flash the latest firmware version and do a full reset to factory defaults and then test. If it works correctly then, you need to redo your settings one by one, testing as you go.

I use the latest Merlin firmware and i already try a full reset (without settings backup to be sure).
I just try again this morning and ... no it's not stable :(

in log i can see this error spamming "Nov 30 08:17:02 kernel: osl_pktfastfree: free skb for NULL ctfpool", no here whithout Passthrough.

PS : i don't know original or not...
CPU ModelBCM470x - Cortex A7 ARMv7 revision 0 (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency800 MHz

Edit : this post seems related too with this error and v6 issue : https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...sthrough-and-nat-hardware-acceleration.56522/

Yes, the 800MHz dual core is the original.

You need a much more powerful router today to fully utilize 1Gbps ISP speeds with the features you want/need.

With "CTF+FA" i can reach 1Gb. But if i want IPv6 (with Passthrough), FA has problems and without it, indeed, i can't reach 1Gb, CPU is too weak.
Soon i should replace it with a GT-AX6000 but i want to be sure to solve my problem with it ^^
That's why i want to know if anybody know why FA has problem with Passthrough.

The processor is just not strong enough. I can't recall anyone having this issue on newer hardware. But if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will point it out quickly enough.

If the nat hardware acceleration turns on and IPv6 is set to Passthough, the system log was flood with :"kernel: osl_pktfastfree: free skb for NULL ctfpool". Network devices could get its own ipv4 & ipv6 address but cannot access to internet.

If i recall, there were reported issues with CTF (NAT Acceleration) and IPv6 on the older platforms.

Just as a note for anyone interested : I switch to a GT AX6000 model and with the same conf (ipv6 Passthrough+ CTF/FA accelerations) i don't have any problems so it's an issue for old plateform like my 68U, you are right !