What's new

IPv6 RD DNS Issue and NAT UPNP Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

William Earl

Occasional Visitor
My isp uses 6RD and I put the DNS information in the router, but it fails to pass on this information to any device on the network. It passes on everything else.
HwYAC2z.jpg

H67W7JM.jpg

The other issue I have is that I have UPNP on for gaming but I can never get an open NAT in game. always moderate. I have tried other third party firmware and get an open NAT in games. any ideas?

If it helps ive never had open nat with asus firmware bar when i used pppoe relay.

Hows is your gaming in general?
Do you play many p2p games?
I have had issues from 2012 with p2p games.
Can't tell whether its the hardware , firmware or isp.

GTA V shows moderate and so does COD BOIII and BOII and MW3, also Payday 2. andothers i can't think of off the top of my head. I have issues with connection or connecting at times, when i use a different firmware that it says open in game i have no issues. Its a RT-N66U ISP Centurylink VDSL2 PPPOE 50meg down 20 meg up. Modem is in transparent bridge mode. It just kinda baffles me as I used to be a network administrator for a few different isps, went to college for computer networking and cisco certs. It has to be something firmware. its the latest merlin firmware 380.61

It has to be something firmware. its the latest merlin firmware 380.61

Until console makers stop being so cryptic and start explaining what the hell does "moderate NAT" means, there's no way to look into this.

Until console makers stop being so cryptic and start explaining what the hell does "moderate NAT" means, there's no way to look into this.
well on another firmware i tried there are three nat types strict, linux hybrid, and full cone nat. full cone nat was the only one that would get open nat with upnp. you also didn't address the ipv6 issue of the router not handing the ipv6 dns to the computers. i can enter it manually to the computer then ipv6 works.

I just remembered what the difference beteeen moderate nat and open nat is with upnp, moderate only allows connections that are already established by the local pc on the network inbound. this causes issues when people join games that your hosting because that connection was not established by the local pc. an open nat the port that upnp opens allows any inbound connections on that port. hope that makes sense

more nat info https://www.think-like-a-computer.com/2011/09/16/types-of-nat/

you also didn't address the ipv6 issue of the router not handing the ipv6 dns to the computers

I don't touch the IPv6 code as I have no way of testing it. My ISP doesn't offer IPv6.

here is the firmware full cone nat works on as i just upgraded from a rt-n56u https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u

Padavan uses the same UPNP daemon as Asuswrt - miniupnpd.

Based on your description, sounds like you want to disable secure mode, which prevents clients from forwarding ports to other IPs on the LAN - actually a security risk. Try disabling secure mode then.

My isp uses 6RD and I put the DNS information in the router, but it fails to pass on this information to any device on the network. It passes on everything else.
I just re-read your post. It's working as designed. The IPv6 DNS servers are added to those used by the router caching server (dnsmasq), but the router will only send the router ip address as the server to the clients. If you look under System Logs>IPv6 you should see that the router is internally using those servers.

Based on your description, sounds like you want to disable secure mode, which prevents clients from forwarding ports to other IPs on the LAN - actually a security risk. Try disabling secure mode then.
this did not work at all.

you can test IPv6 through 3rd party tunnels like opendns and https://tunnelbroker.net/ even tho your isp does not have it. there are many other places you can do it though.

It limits the extent of testing I can do, as a tunnel doesn't work the same way as 6rd or DHCP-PD.

For me, HE's tunnel always worked flawlessly, however I don't keep it up at all time because for many sites it slows down my throughput.

Secure mode does not change nat type at all its designed to only allow a device to open ports to its own ip, nothing else.

Secure mode does not change nat type at all its designed to only allow a device to open ports to its own ip, nothing else.

Then I have no idea what you were trying to explain in your previous post. A port forward is a port forward, there ain't different ways of doing so.

Then I have no idea what you were trying to explain in your previous post. A port forward is a port forward, there ain't different ways of doing so.
Well i guess you really don't understand networking. I will have to go find a solution somewhere else as it seems you don't really understand networking.

AFAIK All port forwarding on Merlin's firmware is "Full-cone NAT" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation#Methods_of_translation). You can check this by going to System Log > Port Forwarding and looking at the Source field. If it says "ALL" then it's full-cone.

FWIW I never had any problems with COD, etc. on the PC, PS3 or PS4. I know there are some Xbox-specific issues that the miniupnpd people are looking at.

AFAIK All port forwarding on Merlin's firmware is "Full-cone NAT" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation#Methods_of_translation). You can check this by going to System Log > Port Forwarding and looking at the Source field. If it says "ALL" then it's full-cone.

FWIW I never had any problems with COD, etc. on the PC, PS3 or PS4. I know there are some Xbox-specific issues that the miniupnpd people are looking at.
\
No source field at all.
YFMOXKN.jpg