What's new

Is it possible to mix hard disks in DS215j ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rico

New Around Here
I plan to buy DS215j disk station. In my old NAS I already have 1 hard disk of 3TB capacity. Can I use this disk and buy additional one 3TB HDD (but this will be the different model from this one that I have) and put them both into DS215j and create some disk array? Or should I buy two new identical 3TB disks?

Yes, i believe its not recommended but it works just fine, i have 2 different ,a Samsung and a western digital green drives in my ds214-play for the last 7 months without problems.

Of course different drives may hinder performance due to cache/speed etc.

Yes. I recommend, for example, in a 2-bay, use the smaller capacity drive as the primary volume 1, and the other as volume 2. No-RAID. No JBOD. No Hybrid RAID.
Then use the various backup tools to backup selected shares/folders on volume 1 to volume 2. And if you wish, use the Synology Time Backup (time machine like) with file version archiving, with volume 2 as the destination.

Be sure to have a USB3 or other external drive to backup volume 1.

I do the above and more, with a 2 bay that has 2x 3TB WD Red drives gotten for $89ea.

I would not recommend mixing drives in a raid setup (any type of raid).

Also, keep in mind that more than likely, your existing 3TB drive will be formatted when put into the new NAS.

Also, keep in mind that more than likely, your existing 3TB drive will be formatted when put into the new NAS.
as said in #4, just don't use RAID! even with like-sized drives, in a small NAS.

as said in #4, just don't use RAID! even with like-sized drives, in a small NAS.

I have found it much more effective to have a RAID1 setup for the actual NAS OS (two drives) in a four bay NAS or larger. Even when the additional bays are used for storage and are not necessarily in any RAID type array. Or when multiple / identical units are used within a single network.

I agree to don't use RAID for data. But when the NAS is critical to the operation of the network, RAID1 for just the NAS OS is highly recommended (just as a second or third, identical, NAS is).

I'm going to buy this DS215j for off-line backup and library. I have 4 computers at home (and 1 computer is critical, as I use it for my daily work and keep on it all my e-mails and project documents). Additionally I'll use this NAS as a home photo and video library. So 100% security is for me the priority! I initially assumed that I'll take may existing 3TB HDD, buy additional new one, put them both into the DS215j, format both, and establish RAID0. So, you opinion guys changes my concept. I'm the amateur in this matter. Could you pls explain why RAID is worst then having Volume1 and copy it onto Volume2? Is it the problem with capacity, with speed?

With RAID/mirroring in a 2 drive NAS, if the file system gets corrupted or malware or you do a big oops, you have only your dated external drive backup for recovery. That is, there is ONE file system. With a two drive NAS using separate volume per drive, the TWO file systems are independent, and volume 2 (the secondary) doesn't have the shares that are vulnerable on the LAN. So Volume 2 is likely to survive the myriad of causes of file system corruption that are other than drive failures. Such as just mentioned, plus a mainboard failure when volume 1's shares are being altered, or NAS power loss while volume 1 is writing, etc. Volume 2 is statistically much less often being written.

None the less, don't overlook the need for a BIG USB3 drive for backup per the 3-2-1 philosophy. I also auto-backup VVIP folders to an ever-present SD card in the NAS. And I have other off-site backup of VVIP folders, but I do my own encryption - not the NAS, not the service provider's software on my side or theirs - to protect my data from the disgruntled employee risk.

Wow...so much to comprehend when you start to step up the ranks..

OK, what what would you guys suggest for me then?

DS1813+ 8bay..
Usage.. Mostly for my Moodle site.. So will have clients data contained with in site dBASE..

It comes with 4*1Ts.. (Don't laugh, it was part of the deal).. These will be replaced over time..
I grabbed a WD 3T red to throw in it for now too..

Existing system is the DS212j with 2x 3Ts greens in it..
With a Seagate USB external 2T as backup for VIP data folders..

After reading.. I had thought of doing a raid 6 on the DS1813+ with the 4x1Ts plus the 3T thus over the next 6 months replace all the 1Ts with WD reds 4Ts..

My understanding is that if I start off with the setup as raid 6.. As I add new drives in..it will rebuild itself to populate/accommodate the new drives and Ts I am putting in...

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 1TB not so good. Use for something else and get 2 or 3TB drives, even 2 are OK.

I urge not to use RAID in a home/SOHO NAS. Use independent volumes (2) and a clever backup scheme using the NAS' backup tools, to include the not well known "Time Bacukp" in Synology's DSM. It makes file versions of selected folders.

Don't procrastinate how you're going to setup automated external backups.

Thanks for the reply, been reading left right and center about the pro's and cons..

Independent volumes do seem to be the go.. As the raid array seems to be only if you are using it in an intense data hungry SMB.

In my case as mentioned, mostly it's going to be a file repository for clients to drop and drag files into.. Almost FTP but from the Moodle web interface..

I have had a disk fail in the DS212J that was just in as a volume and I was able to pull it and use a laptop to pull data off it.. So with that in mind I was leaning towards a volume based system..

Backups yes, just need to set them on a timer.. And have got USB storage that allows me to fill a drive then stack it..as the data only has to be around for 12 months at the most..then can be wiped and disk refreshed..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

For a 2-bay NAS - I completely agree... RAID complicates things, and never good to mix drives in a RAID - as individual volumes/sharepoints, ok...

For a 4-bay (plus) - many options available..

And as L&LD mentioned - assume that the NAS is going to format a drive when installed, so if there is data on it, might ensure to have it backed up somewhere else before proceeding..

Before doing a lotta TB RAID NAS, first figure out how you are going to back it up, externally. I'm in the camp that says that drive failure is not the greatest risk and RAID is supposed to deal only with drive failures.

Before doing a lotta TB RAID NAS, first figure out how you are going to back it up, externally. I'm in the camp that says that drive failure is not the greatest risk and RAID is supposed to deal only with drive failures.

Great point - bringing in a NAS does "level up" capabilities, but that requires some planning if it's going to work well within a given environment.

And that includes a backup strategy - I know I'm a bit preachy about that....

We read too many stories where the RAID "rebuild" fails. In which case, lack of a recent backup = data loss.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!