What's new

Is it possible to run a 4 drive custom NAS with a PicoPSU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

minghi

New Around Here
Hi, I just built an ubuntu based nas off some old parts lying around the house and my goal was to have a system that consumes 30w or less during idle and 60w max upon heavy use.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64-bit 2650e 15w TDP (really?....)
Motherboard: Abit AN-M2 (No onboard VGA)
RAM: 2 x 1GB DDR2 800
VGA: GeForce 440MX 64MB (I plan to remove this once everything runs fine)
Ethernet: Some crappy realtek - temporary solution (Onboard Marvell doesn't show up in ubuntu)
PSU: Antec Basiq 500w
Drives: 1x4GB Sandisk running ubuntu server; 4x2TB Samsung HD204UI Data (2x4TB in Raid0)

The guide I followed is this

Unfortunately, the kill-a-watt shows 5w on off, 90w on bootup & 55w in idle. I didn't even think about load testing since it failed at idle itself. My first suspect is the psu which is probably the lowest quality. So, I kinda want to run the system off a picopsu (Jonnyguru recommends a PicoPSU 120-WI-25 here with a FSP 19v power brick here

My question is, since I've four hard drives and a 24-pin atx connector on the motherboard, is it possible to modify the picopsu by adding 4 sata power pins and 20 to 24 pin atx adapter? The unit's specs are shown below.
+3.3V(6A/20W), +5V(6A/30W), +12V (6A/72W), -12V(.1A/1.2W), +5VSB(1.5A/7.5W)

Has anyone done anything crazy like this before? I've a bunch of laptop bricks at 19v, so my only cost is the picopsu, just not sure whether I can dissect it up and not blow it up during use.

Thanks in advance!!!:)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!