What's new

Is My Router Being Hijacked or Is My ISP Spying?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rygynjupiter

New Around Here
am hoping someone might have some insight or can point me in the right direct with this.

a bit of back story: i run a port scanning/blocking on my PC and up until about three weeks ago everything was normal. when i would visit say Amazon or Netflix i would get the Destination IP for those sites and be told the range. it would say "Netflix" and start at about 69.X.X.X

however for the past three weeks or so, since my ISP came out and replaced the modem/router due to lightning strike i have noticed some odd activity. now when i try to visit site like Amazon or netflix i am given this information

range: Road Runner Business
source: (my ip)
destination: 24.143.205.66 (or variants on that)

now what is troubling is that the 24.x.x.x is for TWC backbones in Virgina i think and NOT that IPs for any of the sites where this is occurring.

should i be concerned about this? can anyone tell me why this is happening?

confused by what you say.
do a trace route command (tracert in windows). You'll see all the routers in the path from here to there. Often 15 IP addresses.

What matters for performance is the ping time and reliability from your router to the ISP's first router which is likely a net 10 address (10.x.x.x).
That's the so called access link. The first mile. That's where the ISP can falter. The next hops after than wind up on something like Level 3 backbones and they often have congestion you can see.

http://www.pingplotter.com/
is freeware with nag screens that graphs.

TimeWarner Cable is my ISP. Twice in 15 or so years of service from them they made architecture changes and buggered up the DNS updates for my domain. For a month. Each such change drastically changes their routing.

Also, Verizon Wireless and others, and maybe your TWC region, are going to proxies. Example: Verizon LTE modems do not get a public IP address unless you pay for one. They are double-NATing everything. Makes is impossible to run a server on such networks without paying.

Last edited:
Also, Verizon Wireless and others, and maybe your TWC region, are going to proxies. Example: Verizon LTE modems do not get a public IP address unless you pay for one. They are double-NATing everything. Makes is impossible to run a server on such networks without paying.

There are ways to hole-punch thru a double NAT - I'm on VZW-LTE for my personal cellular connection, and I have a VOIP app that I use daily... works fine over UDP...

Double-NAT's are bad, but perhaps, given the IPv4 issues, might be the only choice.

Reload this Page Is My Router Being Hijacked or Is My ISP Spying?

am hoping someone might have some insight or can point me in the right direct with this.

a bit of back story: i run a port scanning/blocking on my PC and up until about three weeks ago everything was normal. when i would visit say Amazon or Netflix i would get the Destination IP for those sites and be told the range. it would say "Netflix" and start at about 69.X.X.X

however for the past three weeks or so, since my ISP came out and replaced the modem/router due to lightning strike i have noticed some odd activity. now when i try to visit site like Amazon or netflix i am given this information

range: Road Runner Business
source: (my ip)
destination: 24.143.205.66 (or variants on that)

now what is troubling is that the 24.x.x.x is for TWC backbones in Virgina i think and NOT that IPs for any of the sites where this is occurring.

should i be concerned about this? can anyone tell me why this is happening?

It sounds like your ISP has changed their network SW and are now using a different DNS server, possibly one that directs users to links that include advertising which the ISPs then get paid for.
I personally use OpenDNS "set DNS server to 208.67.220.220" , you might want to check them out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!