What's new

Is the RT-AX88U Pro overkill with PFSense?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You're doing scripting on your APs? Or you're saying that you want scripting on your main router thus have spent money for all Asus/Aimesh nodes in order to keep that?

The OP here has a PFSENSE router and was just looking for wifi to add to it, the PFSENSE can do all the advanced features (and more) that Asus scripting can, but to take advantage of guest segmentation you need VLANs, which only the Asus Pro routers have (at least out of the box, in the GUI). They stated the EAP610s they bought are giving them double their old AC performance for half the price of the Asus they would have needed with VLAN support. In this case, it was the right move.

There are plenty of semi-pro grade APs out there for $100 or less each. Even Cisco ones are in the low $100s if you find the right place to buy. Perhaps different in the EU but in the US it is very easy to get good APs for reasonable prices.

If you're just looking at out of the box mesh systems that include a router and have some support for more advanced stuff, then maybe the Asus is right for you, but that isn't the case for all.
You are right about the OP not needing any Asus features since he already has a router. If EAP610 fits his needs it was surely the smart choice.
Buying an Asus router that cost the double could interest some people who need faster speeds at distant rooms and security updates.
In Europe 4X4 semi-pro grade APs cost similar to Asus routers on Amazon sales, i am really curious about their performance after reading this thread. I hope i don't do any impulse buy again...

@elp APs are the better buy if you have a router already. Just plug them in and configure. For what you would spend on a new router you can just add more APs if you really can't live without covering your EU ranch outdoors.

You are right about the OP not needing any Asus features since he already has a router. If EAP610 fits his needs it was surely the smart choice.
Buying an Asus router that cost the double could interest some people who need faster speeds at distant rooms and security updates.
In Europe 4X4 semi-pro grade APs cost similar to Asus routers on Amazon sales, i am really curious about their performance after reading this thread. I hope i don't do any impulse buy again...

I've used a lot of different APs including Asus and have not noticed any substantial difference between the various good brands. External antennas gives you some ability to extend or aim the signal, but my ceiling mounted Ubiquiti with internal antennas had better throughput at distance (both 5ghz and 2.4ghz) than my current Asus with external antennas.

As far as home routers are concerned, Asus does make good ones, but the radios in them are not going to stack up against the higher end dedicated APs, it's just economics. Even the built in switch can't push the same throughput as my $20 TP-Link one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!