What's new

Is their a cellular WiFi router that automatically takes over if power goes out?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matrix69

New Around Here
Hi I am interested in finding a cellular router that automatically takes over all connections for surveillance and other connections in the event their is a power outage. What I am trying to figure out and find is something that connects and takes over without being present in the event of a power failure. It would need It’s own battery back up. I know that being connected to current router it would have to know to connect to the back up one. Is that even possible? I am not very tech savvy and am new to this. If this is the wrong section to discuss where should I post this? Thanks for your help!

This is definitely possible. There are routers that have built-in cellular radios so that all you have to do is add a SIM card with service. Some routers allow you to plug in a USB cellular modem to provide cellular WAN. The devices easily available to you probably depend on where you are located. Some examples:

ASUS 4G-AC68U and 4G-AC55U
D-Link DWR-922, DWR-961
Netgear LG6100D, R7100LG
SmartRG SR700ac

In addition to its 4G LTE capability, 4G-AC68U has a dedicated Gigabit Ethernet WAN port that can be used as a backup wired internet connection that is activated when the 4G LTE connection fails (failover), and automatically switches back when service is restored (failback). This gives superb flexibility for business or home use — you need never be without an internet connection.

It looks like you can specify which WAN is primary and secondary so you can only fallback to cellular when the wired WAN is down.

Battery backup would be easy to provide yourself with a UPS.

Last edited:
Awesome thank you I will check that out! And I didnt even think of the back up power supply
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually - depends on the broadband connectivity.... most Broadband providers are triple play - broadband/tv/telco - and the telco aspect means they need to keep dial-tone up as long as possible.

Case in point - I have Cable for Broadband - the modem, the router, a simple managed switch, and AP, and a NUC for scratchpad along with a NAS box.

Planned outage - I've got the NAS to shutdown 5 minutes if the mains go out, the modem/router/switch/ap/nuc stay up until the battery runs out on the UPS - the UPS is an APC 1080 of some kind (let me check, NS1080) - which provided power to that collective for over 6 hours.

Never lost broadband, never lost WiFi - connectivity was 100% over the 6 hours...

Size the UPS accordingly to demand..

You can add the Cisco RV340 router. It supports a cell device in case of lost ISP. You will need a battery backup to keep the router running when power is out.