What's new

Is there a good place to give your devices a friendly/custom name?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

terminator

Regular Contributor
Instead of andriod-349489853, I want to call the device (change the host-name) Ashleys-Phone.

I see there are several places but I am unsure if they do the same thing or different things
1. Network Map -> View List button. A popup shows up with the connected devices list and I can change the name of devices in that grid.
2. Network Map -> Clicking on the connected devices widget. The devices show on the right side and click on them to chance the name, assign static IPs, etc.

The challenge is that
1. doing #1 above doesn't always change the name on #2. Are they stored at different places?
2. None of #1 or #2 change the names at other places of the system such as System Log -> Wireless Log or System Log -> DHCP Leases

Whats the best place to assign a new name based on mac address so the router uses that instead?

Last edited:
Instead of andriod-349489853, I want to call the device (change the host-name) Ashleys-Phone.

I see there are several places but I am unsure if they do the same thing or different things
1. Network Map -> View List button. A popup shows up with the connected devices list and I can change the name of devices in that grid.
2. Network Map -> Clicking on the connected devices widget. The devices show on the right side and click on them to chance the name, assign static IPs, etc.

The challenge is that
1. doing #1 above doesn't always change the name on #2. Are they stored at different places?
2. None of #1 or #2 chance the names at other places of the system such as System Log -> Wireless Log or System Log -> DHCP Leases

Whats the best place to assign a new name based on mac address so the router uses that instead?
I use the client list. View clients button and click on the name you to change when done just click somewhere else. Works fine for me.

LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list

Give it a fixed IP address and a hostname that DNS will use.

2. None of #1 or #2 chance the names at other places of the system such as System Log -> Wireless Log or System Log -> DHCP Leases

Assigning them different names with static DHCP leases is already the best thing you can do from the router side, otherwise you would have to change it on the client device side.

Check whether your phone allows you to change its device name. Some android phones officially allow this. If you are running custom roms and/or rooted, there are apps that help you change them if you can't find the setting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!