What's new

Is there a way to get notified during WAN failover or failback???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Milkman

Occasional Visitor
I was thinking about getting a backup 4G WAN, but I would want to know when it fails over so that I could take some actions on my PC's to limit bandwidth. Also I would like to know when it fails back so that I could resume normal operations.

I thought that the failover was a great feature, but was shocked that there was no notification that I could find.

I was thinking about getting a backup 4G WAN, but I would want to know when it fails over so that I could take some actions on my PC's to limit bandwidth. Also I would like to know when it fails back so that I could resume normal operations.

I thought that the failover was a great feature, but was shocked that there was no notification that I could find.

With the RMerlin firmware the use of custom scripts allows many GUI 'nice-to-have' features (that have been shockingly :p omitted) to be implemented.
It took me a while, but I did eventually get the hang of scripting - despite my ugly code :D

The following code snippet shows how you use the wan-start event to detect the switch between the DSL modem and the USB modem (and vice-versa), and modify allowed apps/traffic to prevent using the costly USB .

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/reality-check-can-i-do-this-relatively-easily.17579/#post-122367

Also you can send an email (by using the example wiki email script) to also detect if the WAN I/P changes etc. by adding the appropriate script lines to wan-start etc.

Code:
# Send email for WAN connection
/jffs/scripts/GMailSSL.sh

# Save the current WAN I/P address
echo $MY_WANIPADDR >/tmp/mnt/$MYROUTER/IPADDR.txt

NOTE: The original script was written when DUAL-WAN failover fallback wasn't fully implemented by ASUS so my script would schedule a reboot to force the use of the ADSL modem connection @3:00.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!