What's new

Is there a way to save Traffic Analyzer data from RAM?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryH3

Regular Contributor
I've had a new RT-AC68U running for just over a week on 380.61 and just updated to 380.62, using the default save-to-ram setting for the traffic analyzer. Is there a way to capture this data and move it to a flash drive so that the data isn't lost on reboot of the router?

Also, is it possible to force the router to save the latest data to the flash drive when a reboot is requested?

Thanks!

I had read that to mean that none of the data that is already saved to the disk from previous saves would be preserved. For example, if the last save took place 23 hours ago, will the router automagically save that 23 hours of data before rebooting? I was thinking that the Save Frequency setting would mean that the data collected after a save point would go to the big bit bucket in the sky on a reboot request. Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks!

I had read that to mean that none of the data that is already saved to the disk from previous saves would be preserved. For example, if the last save took place 23 hours ago, will the router automagically save that 23 hours of data before rebooting? I was thinking that the Save Frequency setting would mean that the data collected after a save point would go to the big bit bucket in the sky on a reboot request. Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks!

Both daemons will specifically save their data to disk when they exit, in addition to the scheduled saves occurring at configured intervals. You just need to create and configure a database on a USB disk.

Awesome to know. I'm more impressed with your firmware every day. :)

Is the data currently in RAM just going to have to be sacrificed?

Awesome to know. I'm more impressed with your firmware every day. :)

Is the data currently in RAM just going to have to be sacrificed?

In theory, you could try copying the data to the new location on the USB disk, instead of creating a new database. First, change the location under Tools -> Sysinfo, without telling the router to create a new database. After applying, connect through SSH, and copy the tomato_*.gz files from RAM to the new location on disk. It might take a few minutes before the daemons will load the relocated databases.

I cannot be 100% sure it works however, I can't look up that code at the moment to see if RAM storage means a database is located in the volatile /tmp location, or if it's not saved to a file at all.

In the event of a crash or freeze, it always is. ;)
Thank you, Capt. Obvious. ;) RAM contents will always be lost in a crash or power removal, but that is not the point of this discussion. I just wasn't sure if there was scripting behind the reboot button to force a data save before the router reboots, when the save location is to a physical drive. The setting for Save Frequency can be set to as long as a month. That would be a lot of data to just have vanish.

Thank you, Capt. Obvious. ;) RAM contents will always be lost in a crash or power removal, but that is not the point of this discussion.

Your first post and the title of this thread made the point a little ambiguous. :)

If you're relying on this data then the obvious save frequency is 'as short as possible'.

(And I'm sure now that I've pointed it out to you I'll get awarded another CO designation).

A reboot as far as I know dismounts any drives attached (or, at least it should). I would not expect it to do more than that myself. Even if it is coded for a 'force save before boot', there is never a guarantee that that process will go as planned.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!