What's new

Is there an Advantage in Implementing a SSL over/In addition to a VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just Checking

Regular Contributor
As my post question stated; Are there significant advantages of trying to implement a SSH on top of encryption in a VPN? I would think that it would improve security by putting a second layer of encryption over that provided by the VPN. I would think that this would come at the cost of slower speed since the VPN server and client device would have to encrypt/decrypt the information twice. Can someone more knowledgeable on this subject matter provide input on this?

Would this actually provide a much better security against nation-state level decryption? I am not doing anything illegal (that I am aware of) but I just want to express my dissatisfaction with governments believing they have the right to monitor and read all my communications.

The SSL encryption that I would use is the 2048 bit rsa done by Putty. I saw that some VPN Proxy Server providers (HideMyAss) have 4096 bit encryption available.

If I wanted to do this, is there a tutorial on how to implement it on an Asus router running the Asus Merlin Firmware variants?

Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!