What's new

Is there any advantage to a Netgear switch FS105

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hextejas

New Around Here
I will have an ATT 589 modem next week as part of an upgrade.
It has the same number of ports as my present modem, the 2wire3801 (I think).
The 4 ports are all being used by:
2) Ooma phone
3) My PC
4) HD Homerun for a TV that has no tuner.

1) Has a
TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter, TPL-406E

which has 3 Trendnet powerline connections running into it.
1) My wifes PC
2) The Raspberry PI-2 Home theater PC running Linux OSMC
3) A WAP Netgear N600 WNDR3700 servicing at most 4 IPads and Iphones.

The modem, Ooma, and HD Homerun TV are all upstairs and everything else is downstairs.
I have a spare Netgear switch FS105 doing nothing and I was wondering if there would be advantage to putting it somewhere in the circuit.

The way it is now, I don't see any degradation in speed but maybe I could go faster, huh ? :=)

The NG FS105 is a 10/100mb port switch. Unless you have some devices that do 100mb only, then I wouldn't bother with that switch..

Your weakest link is the Nano adaptors, but unless you typically connect from one device to another (rather than just have each device access the internet), installing the 10/100 speed limited switch anywhere into your existing LAN will not improve your network throughput by much, if at all, and may even lower the effective speeds depending on where it is used.

If you can hardwire your WNDR3700 and also use the 4x 10/100/1000 ports it offers, that would upgrade your network substantially, especially for your wife's PC, and the PI-2.

If you can run cables for all the necessary rooms with Cat5e or higher yourself, that would be even better.

The Nano adaptors are probably limiting you to around 20-50Mbps at best.

Getting rid of them would then allow a switch to possibly make sense, but not the 10/100 Mbps model you have now.

If you can hardwire your WNDR3700 and also use the 4x 10/100/1000 ports it offers, that would upgrade your network substantially, especially for your wife's PC, and the PI-2.

If you can run cables for all the necessary rooms with Cat5e or higher yourself, that would be even better.

Interesting and I am gonna look around and see if I can relocate the WNDR3700 without invoking my wife's ire too much. She hates, as do I, the unsightly cables.
Hmmm, do I read you correctly in that WIFI to the WNDR3700 would be faster than the Nano adapters ?

It should be faster. Directly connected ethernet (no powerline) to any device is what you want to acheive..

Yes if the WNDR3700 is directly wired, the WiFi speed may be even higher than it is currently, depending on what your ISP rates are.

With a wired WAN connection to the AP the internet should be more consistent and more responsive too.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!