What's new

Is this normal RAM usage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zekesdad

Regular Contributor
my machine has been running 378.55 for about 40 hours and is using 87% (218 of 250) ram. Im not using anything but a couple manually entered dhcp addresses and a couple ports to forward. No traffic managing or extra logging or anything like that. Doesn't this seem high or should I just not worry about it?

Doesn't this seem high or should I just not worry about it?
Hi,

You should first worry about reading the change log, then your worries about the high memory usage will go away... :oops::rolleyes:

Yes, from the changelog:

• Resource optimizations on the RT-AC87U (4 MB of RAM saved) and other ARM models (buffers are no longer regularly flushed, for better overall performance - that buffer memory will get automatically freed if required by actual applications, so higher memory usage is perfectly normal).

Remember that unused memory is wasted memory unless something else needs it.

that is high.

I have multiple SSID's / dnscrypt / privoxy with adblock scripts running
with port forwarding / usb disk attached for entware.

I am on N66U too and i have about 176 mb free most of the time.

I do reboot my router every week.

High memory usage due to non flushing caches for performance reasons was for ARM Routers per my understanding going through the change log.

You have not specified your router info.

If you are on ARM based router, high memory usage is actually beneficial to you as it does improve your router performance.

Check what is using up your memory with top (or htop you can install through opkg)

I am also using an RT-AC68U running 378.55 and my ram usage is staying around 85%. 212 MB of 250MB with 38 MB free...

Guys, please use search!

Even post 4 above gives the answer. :)

I am also using an RT-AC68U running 378.55 and my ram usage is staying around 85%. 212 MB of 250MB with 38 MB free...

High ram usage is actually more optimal a majority of the time. Unused ram is practically wasted ram. ~90% usage is perfectly fine.

Often, the ram is available, but it is currently being used by caches, which can be freed very quickly.

When the used ram includes very little cache and it is using 95+%, that is when I start to worry... :)

Wasn't sure if that was the intent or not. Now I know.

Yes. I am aware of the post.. I was just letting the original poster know that I also experience the same type of ram usage.