What's new

Is this switch set-up reasonable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Feldon

New Around Here
Basic VLAN type question here...

Start with an 8-port managed switch (ex. Cisco SG200-08P).
Connect a few wireless AP's with "guest" and "staff" SSID's.
Connect an unmanaged switch feeding several staff-only computers/devices.

Assuming I want to keep the guest and staff networks separate...

Questions:
1. I assume I have to choose whether the unmanaged switch is connected as a guest or staff network device?
2. I assume all of the wireless AP's have to be connected to the managed switch in order to allow have them directed to the guest and staff networks?

Basic VLAN type question here...

Start with an 8-port managed switch (ex. Cisco SG200-08P).
Connect a few wireless AP's with "guest" and "staff" SSID's.
Connect an unmanaged switch feeding several staff-only computers/devices.

Assuming I want to keep the guest and staff networks separate...

Questions:
1. I assume I have to choose whether the unmanaged switch is connected as a guest or staff network device?
2. I assume all of the wireless AP's have to be connected to the managed switch in order to allow have them directed to the guest and staff networks?

1. Yes
2. Yes
There are some AP's that can run an isolated guest network without VLAN's but best practice is to use VLANs.

A dumb switch will strip VLAN tags so you need to keep a dumb switch contained to one VLAN.

Last edited:
A dumb switch will strip VLAN tags so you need to keep a dumb switch contained to one VLAN.

Many of the newer GiGe unmanaged switches pass thru the VLAN tags, so check with the vendor...

A dumb switch does not strip vlan tags. If a tagged vlan gets to a switch with no vlan configuration, that tagged vlan will pass around normally but all the ports on that switch can use that tagged vlan. Even if the switch was managed it will still pass the vlan unless it has a configuration in place to handle it.

To terminate a tagged vlan you do not use a dumb switch, you use a router/managed switch to terminate it by setting it to passive/untagged or an end client(uncommon).

I would recommend getting two switches that support VLANs, not one. It's not going to save you tons of money to go unmanaged, and as your needs change (and they usually do, you're probably going to wish you had at some point. You're likely to avoid hassle that way, and your time is worth money too.

It's always good to plan long term.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!