What's new

ISP IPv6 DNS Still passing to devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dudusmaximus

New Around Here
The past few updates I've noticed that my ISPs IPv6 DNS address is still getting passed to my devices even with get DNS automatically turned off under the IPv6 section and DNS privacy turned on. I also have it set under my LAN devices to send the routers IP as the DNS section. So on my PC I'm seeing 3 DNS address under my ipconfig the routers IPv4 and IPv6 address and a single IPv6 address from my ISP. Just curious if anyone else is seeing this problem.

You need to edit your dnsmasq.conf file located in /etc/ with the ipv6 address you want to use. I had the same problem and making the change here resolved it.

The line that you need to edit is:

dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[::]

replace the :: with the ipv6 address you wish to use for dns

I have enabled/disabled IPv6 numerous times so I could “get with the future” of the internet. I have determined it works very well for it’s intended purpose of providing almost inexhaustible addresses and direct connections to the rest of the internet without the need for NAT. What I do not like is that last part. I still want more control over who my devices “talk” to and IPv6 is very good at defeating that. While I admit it is far more efficient at communication than IPv4 I have decided to stay in the dark ages with IPv4 as it makes my little corner of the internet more manageable for me.

Sorry I made a mistake in my post above, forgot that changes to dnsmask.conf will be overwritten after a reboot.

You need to make a dnsmasq.postconf file and upload this to /jffs/scripts/ and then place the following into it:

#!/bin/sh
sed -i "s/dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,.*/dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[insert ipv6 address here]/" $1

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!