What's new

ISP modem has no bridge mode but only DMZ - Still possible to use my router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ant

New Around Here
Hi everyone, I have read tons of articles from this forum but also from other sources on how you could possibly bridge an ISP model to your own router via DMZ but I was not able to get it right.

I basically followed these instructions here: http://www.erikoest.dk/b_d_uk.htm, which are straight forward to follow.

I was able to connect on the net via my router, that was fine. But then all port forward rules that were on my ISP modem, did not seem to work, since ports were showing closed. I then opened the ports on my router, but still they were showing closed.

Could someone tell me whether first of all it's possible to make my router responsible for port forwarding (remember, via DMZ, since bridge more is not supported at the ISP's modem).

If the answer is yes, could someone shed some light on how I can make this work? Am I doing something wrong? I followed that article, but all ports appear to be closed.

Many thanks!

if this modem is for mobile internet than dmz will work if you're trying to host something. Otherwise you dont need DMZ as it wont save any resources. If this is a wired modem like DSL than get a different modem.

All you have to do is go into the modem settings (which would be the gateway) and enter the login (this could be default or ISP configured).

Hi everyone, I have read tons of articles from this forum but also from other sources on how you could possibly bridge an ISP model to your own router via DMZ but I was not able to get it right.

I basically followed these instructions here: http://www.erikoest.dk/b_d_uk.htm, which are straight forward to follow.

I was able to connect on the net via my router, that was fine. But then all port forward rules that were on my ISP modem, did not seem to work, since ports were showing closed. I then opened the ports on my router, but still they were showing closed.

Could someone tell me whether first of all it's possible to make my router responsible for port forwarding (remember, via DMZ, since bridge more is not supported at the ISP's modem).

If the answer is yes, could someone shed some light on how I can make this work? Am I doing something wrong? I followed that article, but all ports appear to be closed.

Many thanks!

Did you ask your ISP to put their router into bridge mode? I called few times until I came across a rep. who understood what I wanted.

Start by double NATing your router behind the ISPs modem/router.

You will need to set up your port forwarding on both routers.

I have a fibre optic modem from my ISP. I must have called them 100 times asking for bridge mode but no chance. The only option they have in their settings related to this is to use DMZ for another device and that's about it.

So i used dmz based on the article i mentioned but the prob was that even if i forwarded ports on both my modem and router, they remained closed.

I am running a mail server and https server so I need to be able to access my server from the Internet :)

Works if I use just the isp modem but would really prefer to use my router instead.

Start by double NATing your router behind the ISPs modem/router.

You will need to set up your port forwarding on both routers.

Double NAT != Bridge Mode

Unfortunatelly this situation happens alot due to ISP lazyness/not caring about their customers at all in most of the cases, their thinking is just "use our HW" or "pay us some extra money so we can do anything about it", just like happenned before from experience or other similar thinking.

In my country after several "complains" the ISP simply added the option "bridge on Port4" option to the FW, which generally is a custom ISP FW, in some cases it could be a "big effort" from them doing so but IMO thats why we pay them at the end of the month...

The best way to solve this messup usually is quit the service and subscribe from other ISP justifying the reason for it with this motive, if they start to notice several complains and clients quitting they will simply sooner or later move forward, believe it.

If you don't have an alternative then you will be forced to workaround it, using DMZ or connecting directly to the ONT and use a ATA adapter so you dont loose the SIPs service, or even others depending on your specific ISP setup.

Last edited:
Double NAT != Bridge Mode

Unfortunatelly this situation happens alot due to ISP lazyness/not caring about their customers at all in most of the cases, their thinking is just "use our HW" or "pay us some extra money so we can do anything about it", just like happenned before from experience or other similar thinking.

In my country after several "complains" the ISP simply added the option "bridge on Port4" option to the FW, which generally is a custom ISP FW, in some cases it could be a "big effort" from them doing so but IMO thats why we pay them at the end of the month...

The best way to solve this messup usually is quit the service and subscribe from other ISP justifying the reason for it with this motive, if they start to notice several complains and clients quitting they will simply sooner or later move forward, believe it.

If you don't have an alternative then you will be forced to workaround it, using DMZ or connecting directly to the ONT and use a ATA adapter so you dont loose the SIPs service, or even others depending on your specific ISP setup.

Thanks mate. I am pushing them to enable this but I am not sure they will. I tried DMZ but the strange thing is that port forwarding is not working anymore and all ports show closed eventhough I opened them both on the model and my router...

You are very welcome.

Yes, those issue are very common under those circunstances, it's not a pure bridge config so you can have double nat happening, firewalling, dhcp, etc.

You need to waste sometime on it and find the best workaround on your case without loosing any of the services provided.

It could help knowing the ISP device(s) being used.

You are very welcome.

Yes, those issue are very common under those circunstances, it's not a pure bridge config so you can have double nat happening, firewalling, dhcp, etc.

You need to waste sometime on it and find the best workaround on your case without loosing any of the services provided.

It could help knowing the ISP device(s) being used.

SWISSCOM in Switzerland...

I have a friend there with the same ISP and it works fine with bridge mode, maybe the equipments are different, Locarno.

Yeah depends on the type of connection and the router provided. My issue is that I cannot get the ports working via DMZ... any ideas why?

You are opening them on which router? ASUS, ISP or both? Also, do you see the external IP assigned on your ASUS WAN port?

Last edited:
Both. So what I did is that 1. I changed my ISP modem to 192.168.1.1. Then I gave a static IP in the WAN settings of my ASUS to 192.168.1.20. Went back into ISP modem and enabled DMZ for 192.168.1.20 (my ASUS router). Back in Asus - as mentioned under WAN I chose static IP (instead of automatic) and put as an IP 192.168.1.20 - IP Subnet Mask": 255.255.255.0 and the "Gateway IP Address": 192.168.1.1 (that is the IP address of my ISP modem). In the LAN settings of my Asus router, I put 192.168.0.1. That' all.

Not sure if all that is correct. The internet works fine, my Asus distributes IPs to all internal devices but still ports appear to be closed. I opened both ASUS and my ISP modem port forwarding (all rules) but nothing works.

Can you disable NAT, FIREWALL and/or others on the ISP router?

Disabled them on my ASUS. On the ISP there is no option to even find firewall settings.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!