What's new

ISP Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rickyrsx

Occasional Visitor
Hey everyone,
I couldn't really find a thread for this but I didn't look that hard honestly:pbut I'm wondering if I could downgrade my internet package to a lower speed without sacrificing my end speed. Right now, I have a 100Mbps download, 10 Mbps upload package but I'm also using a VPN through my router. I've read that with this setup, my maximum download speed is limited by my router so I can only get about 50-60 Mbps anyways. ATM, I get about 40-50 Mbps download and 8-9 Mbps upload. So if I downgraded my internet to a 75Mbps package, would I still get my 40-50 Mbps download through my VPN router?

Hey everyone,
I couldn't really find a thread for this but I didn't look that hard honestly:pbut I'm wondering if I could downgrade my internet package to a lower speed without sacrificing my end speed. Right now, I have a 100Mbps download, 10 Mbps upload package but I'm also using a VPN through my router. I've read that with this setup, my maximum download speed is limited by my router so I can only get about 50-60 Mbps anyways. ATM, I get about 40-50 Mbps download and 8-9 Mbps upload. So if I downgraded my internet to a 75Mbps package, would I still get my 40-50 Mbps download through my VPN router?

Yes your router should still get you the 40-50 Mbps download and your download speed might even increase slightly. When I had a package from Comcast that got me 80/12 my VPN download speeds were 70-75. When Comcast doubled my speed to 170/22 my VPN download speed dropped to 60-65/22. The router just got bogged down trying to decrypt data at a faster pace. After trying all sorts of fixes and settings to try and increase my VPN download speeds I finally ended up purchasing a VPN appliance with an I7 processor and loading it with OpenWRT. I now can in get 125-135/22 speeds so I am better able to utilize the bandwidth from my local ISP.

I now attribute the download speed loss almost entirely the lack of processing power or bandwidth of my VPN provider.

Yes your router should still get you the 40-50 Mbps download and your download speed might even increase slightly. When I had a package from Comcast that got me 80/12 my VPN download speeds were 70-75. When Comcast doubled my speed to 170/22 my VPN download speed dropped to 60-65/22. The router just got bogged down trying to decrypt data at a faster pace. After trying all sorts of fixes and settings to try and increase my VPN download speeds I finally ended up purchasing a VPN appliance with an I7 processor and loading it with OpenWRT. I now can in get 125-135/22 speeds so I am better able to utilize the bandwidth from my local ISP.

I now attribute the download speed loss almost entirely the lack of processing power or bandwidth of my VPN provider.
Thanks, I'm going to downgrade to 75 Mbps package and see.

I am very happy to report that I get speeds in the 60's now. Your reasoning is correct.

Attachments

• IMG_44F9FC16FEA8-1.jpeg
    IMG_44F9FC16FEA8-1.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 444
Hey everyone,
yup - downgrading wouldn't affect internet speed as your hardware is the limiting factor. This service, privacyhero.com will get you 90Mbps as a vpn router though