What's new

[SOLVED] Issue updating firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gegnome

New Around Here
Hi!

I'm having trouble upgrading the firmware on my Asus N66U. I've been running the Merlin firmware successfully for the past couple years and have been very pleased with it. I just noticed that when I try to upgrade from 380.67 to 380.68_4, nothing seems to change, I still see the web gui listing 380.67 in the corner.

Any thoughts? I've tried performing a hard reset of the router and trying again, as well as using the web gui to restore to factory defaults and nothing seems to be affecting my settings.

Thanks!

Do you by any chance have USB external HD or SD key plugged into your router? If the answer is yes, try installing the latest firmware without USB plugged in, then reset your router.

Do you by any chance have USB external HD or SD key plugged into your router? If the answer is yes, try installing the latest firmware without USB plugged in, then reset your router.
The correct sequence is: remove all USB devices, restart the router - flash new firmware, connect the USB devices and reboot - be happy! ;)

No usb connected devices and I’ve tried clearing my browser cache with the same results. I’m somewhat at a loss of what could be going on.

No luck, tried 380.68, cleared browser cache and still indicates I'm on 380.67.
Press Shift+F5 on the browser - see if it works?

SOLVED:

I ended up booting into recovery mode (turn off power, hold reset button and turn on power, release reset button once power light begins blinking at around 1-2 second intervals), then loading an older version of the firmware, and upgrading to latest from there.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

SOLVED:

I ended up booting into recovery mode (turn off power, hold reset button and turn on power, release reset button once power light begins blinking at around 1-2 second intervals), then loading an older version of the firmware, and upgrading to latest from there.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Good news. Thanks for updating. Out of interest, which was the older version of the firmware you loaded, and do you think that was what solved it or your going into recovery mode? (I guess at this stage you're not exactly bothered which it was!)

Good news. Thanks for updating. Out of interest, which was the older version of the firmware you loaded, and do you think that was what solved it or your going into recovery mode? (I guess at this stage you're not exactly bothered which it was!)

For what it's worth I rolled back to 380.65_4 (I had happened to have that version downloaded). Absolutely no idea which ended up fixing things, wish I could give a more definitive answer.

For what it's worth I rolled back to 380.65_4 (I had happened to have that version downloaded). Absolutely no idea which ended up fixing things, wish I could give a more definitive answer.
Sometimes, I get the impression that a bit of perseverance does the trick for no apparent reason. You're up and running, that's the main thing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!