What's new

Issue using RT-AX55 as a repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Selk

New Around Here
I set it up as a repeater yesterday no problem and it worked perfectly. This morning it wasn't connecting to the internet so I factory reset it but now when I try to find my network when setting up repeater mode I can't find it. It can still find my neighbors' though. I've been messing with settings for hours and nothings working. Could someone more knowledgeable please help me out?

Welcome to the forums @Selk.

Flipping the settings back and forth has been known to put the router in an unstable state. It is not equivalent to just leaving the settings at defaults in the first place.

What routers are you using? If they're both Asus routers, use the link below to fully reset both of them. After you have successfully flashed them to their latest and most current firmware.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

After the routers are both reset fully, turn off the RT-AX55U. Then, physically unplug it from both the AC wall outlet and the router too.

Use the link below to properly set up the main router.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

After the main router is fully set up, let it settle down for 15 minutes or more. Then, reboot it via the GUI. After a further 15 minutes, you can turn on the repeater and configure it.

I would suggest you use new SSIDs (at least to test with). Leave most things at defaults (as outlined in the Best Practices link above). Do not make too many changes all at once after you get the network stable and working as expected.

With the above completed, I would be introducing client devices one at a time to the network and testing that it continues being stable and responsive too.

Keep good notes on all the above steps. They may help you/us further troubleshoot things if they once more go awry.

HTH

Welcome to the forums @Selk.

Flipping the settings back and forth has been known to put the router in an unstable state. It is not equivalent to just leaving the settings at defaults in the first place.

What routers are you using? If they're both Asus routers, use the link below to fully reset both of them. After you have successfully flashed them to their latest and most current firmware.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

After the routers are both reset fully, turn off the RT-AX55U. Then, physically unplug it from both the AC wall outlet and the router too.

Use the link below to properly set up the main router.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

After the main router is fully set up, let it settle down for 15 minutes or more. Then, reboot it via the GUI. After a further 15 minutes, you can turn on the repeater and configure it.

I would suggest you use new SSIDs (at least to test with). Leave most things at defaults (as outlined in the Best Practices link above). Do not make too many changes all at once after you get the network stable and working as expected.

With the above completed, I would be introducing client devices one at a time to the network and testing that it continues being stable and responsive too.

Keep good notes on all the above steps. They may help you/us further troubleshoot things if they once more go awry.

HTH
Thanks for the response. I updated it to the latest firmware by connecting it directly to the modem after the issue started. I left the main router as is because it's been working fine for over a year and everything else still picks it up (Not Asus). I disconnected the router this morning. Came back from work hard reset it then disconnected it again for 15 mins. Waited 15 more before connecting it via ethernet to the computer. Then tried to set it up in repeater mode and it still couldn't find the network.
(Just read your post on why changing SSIDs is important so I'm going to try new ones on the main router)
Resetting the main router and changing the SSID did the trick. Thanks so much! I was getting nowhere trying to figure it out myself

Last edited:
1657018768464.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!