What's new

Issue with setting up NAS on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jacob Whitby

New Around Here
So I've got a 2TB NAS/Portable HDD Drive in the back of my RT-N66U.

I've set it up to the point where is picked up on my Laptop but just cannot seem to get it registered on Windows on my PC.

Both my Laptop and PC are almost identical in terms of specs and OS. Both running Windows 10 and fully up to date.

AICloud 2.0 is on for Cloud Disk in which it allows me to access the Drive on my laptop but refuses to pick up on the PC.

How it looks from my PC -
434669c4a6.png

And from the Laptop where things are working as expected -
b20c237173.jpg

As you can see under Computer we have the RT-N66U-4*** and the drive is fully R/W accessible.

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong please let me know. Thanks in advance.

its just windows being a pain in the butt smb wise

use the alternative way to access the drive

type the following in the address bar of the explorer window

\\192.168.1.1

this is assuming your default gateway is 192.168.1.1

you should be able to then access the drive attached to the asus

its just windows being a pain in the butt smb wise

use the alternative way to access the drive

type the following in the address bar of the explorer window

\\192.168.1.1

this is assuming your default gateway is 192.168.1.1

you should be able to then access the drive attached to the asus

I'm unable to do that command, I get a error for the address being incorrect. I am able to access the drive through Chrome and its IP. Just need the convinence of having it in Explorer.

On the misbehaving PC, make sure the network is defined as a 'Home' network, not 'Public'. And under advanced options make sure that both Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are both enabled.

On the misbehaving PC, make sure the network is defined as a 'Home' network, not 'Public'. And under advanced options make sure that both Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are both enabled.
Thanks for the reply.

My network is set to private. However I'm unable to flick this setting on

9349e586b0.png

File & Printer settings when I enable it and apply, and go back to check the setting it is put back on to Turn Off.

File & Printer settings when I enable it and apply, and go back to check the setting it is put back on to Turn Off.
I vaguely remember this as an old Windows 7 bug. Give this a try.....
- open the Public profile and set Network discovery and File Sharing on there, apply
- reopen the Private profile and try again to set the File Sharing option, apply
- reopen the Public profile and return both options to off, apply

If that doesn't work, there are a couple of other possibilities I'd check.
- File sharing isn't installed as a protocol for your network adapters. Check under the properties for your adapters.
- File sharing may be disabled in the local group policy. If you have a 'Pro' edition, you can check and change it. Otherwise you'll have to search for the appropriate registry key to edit.
- somehow your firewall rules got corrupted. There's an option to reset the firewall to default settings you can try.

That's all I can think of right now.

You might also want to disable 'HomeGroup' too.

and make sure all comps are using "workgroup" as its workgroup name

Actually, that is the first thing I change. Anything than the defaults is better (always).